Botanic Garden. EDINBURGH. 66. Route. 523
From St. Mary's Cathedral Melville Street (with a monument
to Lord Melville; d. 1811) leads back to Queensferry St. (p. 522)
and to the somewhat heavy Church of St. George (PL C, 4). This
church faces Chabxotte SauARB (PL C, 3, 4), which is adorned
with an equestrian *Statue of Prince Albert (A. 1861), by Steell.
From Charlotte Square we follow (to the E.) the wide and handsome
George Strebt, soon crossing (3 min.) Castle Street (PL 0,3,4),
at No. 39 in which (between George St. and Queen St., E. side)
Sir Walter Scott lived from 1800 to 1826. At the intersection of
the streets rises a statue of Thomas Chalmers (d. 1847), by Steell.
Farther on in George St. are statues of Pitt and George IV. (both by
Chantrey), the Union and Commercial Banks and the Music Hall
(on the right), and St. Andrew's Church (PL D, 3; on the left). The
street ends at St. Andrew's Square (PL E, 3), with a group of
Alexander and Bucephalus (by Steell), the Melville Monument, and
several handsome Banks, whence we return through St. Andrew's St.
to Princes St.
At the E. end of Queen Street (PL D, 3) is the Scottish Na¬
tional Portrait Gallery, opened in 1888.
The gallery (adm. 10-4 or 5; Thurs. & Frid. 6d., other days free; closed
on Sun. ifi Mon.) now contains about 150 portraits, a collection of casts
from the antique, a statue of Robert Burns by Flaxman, engraved prints
of Scottish historical characters, and French engravings of the 17-18th cent.
(from the bequest of the late Mr. W. F. Watson), and a series of draw¬
ings of Old Edinburgh by James Drummond. — The building, which cost
50,0002., was presented by Mr. John R. Findlay (d. 1898). It now also
contains the National Museum of Antiquities (adm. 10-4; Thurs. & Frid. 6d.;
closed on Mon.; other dajs free). The museum includes good prehistoric
collections, and also numerous historic relics, including John Knox's pul¬
pit, Jenny Geddes's stool (p. 518), the sea-chest of Alexander Selkirk (tbe
original of 'Robinson Crusoe'), and copies of tbe National League and
In Inverleith Row, on the N. side of the town, reached from
Princes St. via Hanover St., Dundas St., and Pitt St. (cable-tramway,
p. 515), lies the (li/2M.) *Botanic Garden (PL C, 1; open free
daily 8 till dusk, Sun. 11 till dusk; conservatories 1 to 5.30 or dusk),
with a large palm-house. Adjacent is the Arboretum (PL B, 1). Ad¬
mirable *View of Edinburgh. Not far off is the Warriston Cemetery
(beyond PL D, 1), where Sir James Simpson (p. 522) is buried.
About i/2 M- t0 tlle w- is Fettes College (p. 522). Between Fettes
College and the Arboretum lies the Inverleith Park. By turning to
the left at the end of Inverleith Row, and then to the right, we
reach (IV2 M. from the Botanic Garden) Granton (p. 524).
Blackford Hill (station on the Suburban Railway), adjoining the city on
the S., to the W. of Newington, is now a public park. Near the summit
(500 ft.), the *View from which is described iu a well-known passage of
'Marmion', is the conspicuous Royal National Observatory (comp. p. 520).
The Braid Hills (700 ft.), a little farther on, are also public ami have a
golf-course (tramway, see p. 515; Hotel, p. 514).
About 2 M. to the N.E. of Edinburgh, but now connected with it by
continuous lines of street, lies its harbour Leith (beyond PL F, G, 1),