522 Route 66. EDINBURGH. St. Mary's Cathedral.
Mackenzie' of the Covenanters), Allan Ramsay (A. 1758), and Robertson
(d. 1793), the historian of Charles V. The 1200 prisoners taken at the Battle of
Bothwell Brig (1679; p. 530) were confined here, and suffered great privations.
p;] In GeorgelV. Bridge (PLE,4),which spans theCowgate(p.521),
is'the chief entrance to the Carnegie Free Library (100,000 vols.).
The bridge is continued by Melbourne Place, containing the Sheriff
Court Buildings, and beyond High St. (p. 518) by Bank St., which
descends past the Bank of Scotland (PL E, 4), a handsome Renais¬
sance building, to the Mound and Princes St.
On regaining Princes St., we turn to the left to visit the W.
part of the town. Among the handsome buildings to the right are
several hotels and club-houses. To the left, in West Princes Street
Gardens (PL C, D,4; band twice a week in summer), which occupy
the place of the old Nor' Loch, is a sitting figure of Sir James
Y. Simpson (d. 1870), the discoverer of the properties of chloro¬
form. At the end of the street, on the same side, is St. John's
Episcopal Church (PL C, 4), adjoining which is an. Iona cross to the
memory of Dean Ramsay (d. 1876). In the hollow behind St. John's
is St. Cuthbert's or the West Church (PL C, 4; rebuilt 1892-94),
the graveyard of which contains the last resting-place of Thomas
De Quincey (A. 1859; by the S.E. wall). — Opposite St. John's is
the handsome new Caledonian Station (p. 513).
From this point Queens ferry Street leads to the right to (6 min.)
the *Dean Bridge (Pl.B, 3; 106ft. high), which crosses the Water
of Leith and commands a fine view. Beyond the bridge we pass
Trinity Church and several handsome terraces and follow the Queens-
ferry Road, which soon bends to the left. To the right we have a
fine view of the Firth of Forth, with the imposing pile of Fettes
College, a high-class school for boys, in the foreground. About
300 yds. farther on, a lane diverges on the left to the (3 min.) N.E.
entrance of the *Dean Cemetery (PL A, 3), containing the graves
of Jeffrey, Cockburn, Wilson, Alison, and other eminent Scotsmen.
Passing through the cemetery, we leave it by the S. gate, beyond which
we cross the bridge to the left, and reach the old Queensferry Road.
Palmerston Place, the first cross-street on the right, leads direct
to (5 min.) *St. Mary's Cathedral (PL B, 4), a fine E.E. edifice,
260 ft. long, generally considered the masterpiece of Sir G. G. Scott.
It belongs to the Scottish Episcopal Church, and was erected in
1874-79 at a cost of upwards of 110,000*. The ""Interior (daily
services at 8, 11, and 5) is specially imposing and challenges com¬
parison with some of the older cathedrals. The Central Spire (295 ft.
high) seems rather large in proportion to the rest of the building,
but may lose this appearance when the W. towers are erected. The
church stands in the centre of the fashionable West End District.
About 1/2 M. to the W. of this point is "Donaldson's Hospital (adm.
on Tues. & Frid., 2.30-4, by order from the Treasurer, 61 Castle St.), erected
and endowed for the maintenance and education of 300 children, one-third
of whom are deaf and dumb, by Alexander Donaldson (d. 1830), a printer,
who left 200,000(. for this purpose.