University. EDINBURGH. 66. Route. 521
To the S. of the Register House (p. 520), the North Bridge
(PL E, 3, 4), rebuilt in 1897, crosses the hollow between the old
and new towns, now occupied by the railway; the view of the city
from the bridge at night, after the lamps are lit, is very striking.
North Bridge St., passing the offices of the 'Scotsman' newspaper,
ends at the High St. (comp. p. 519), beyond which it is continued
by the South Bridge (PL E, 4), crossing the quaint but uninviting
Cowgate, one of the oldest streets in the town. To the right, a little
farther on, is the University (PL E, 5), a building dating from
1789-1827, with a dome added in 1887.
The University was founded by James VI. in 1582, and in 1905 it
numbered 40 professors, 43 lecturers, and 44 examiners, besides upwards
of 50 assistants, and 3000 students. The medical faculty (ca. 1400 students)
has long been renowned, and a handsome 'Medical School (PL E,5), in a
striking Renaissance style, was opened in 18H4, a little to the W. The
Library (open daily 10-4, in summer 10-3, Sat. 10-1; in vacation daily 10-1
except Sat.; adm. 6d., for a party is.) contains about 205,000printed vols.
and 7500 MSS. — To the E. of the Medical School are the Music Class Room,
the Students' Union, and the "McEwan Hall (for graduation ceremonials, etc.).
Behind tbe University, entered from Chambers St., is the large
"Museum of Science and Art (PL E, 5), founded in 1861, and containing
valuable and extensive collections of natural history, industrial art, and
ethnology (open free, on Mon., Tues., Thurs. & Frid., 104, Wed. 10-4 and
6-10, Sat. 10-10, Sun 2-5). — Opposite the Museum is the Heriot-Walt
College. — Chambers St. occupies the site of the College Wynd, in which
Sir Walter Scott was born in 1771.
Lothian Street, on the S. side of the University, leads west¬
ward to the University New Buildings (see above), and to Lauriston
Place (PL D, E, 5), with *Heriot's Hospital (PL D, E, 5), founded
for the maintenance and education of fatherless boys by George
Heriot (d. 1624), goldsmith and banker to James VI. (see 'Fortunes
of Nigel'). The handsome building, long attributed to Inigo Jones,
was designed by Wm. Aytoun (adm. 10-3, daily, except Sat. & Sun.).
Among other similar schools are Gillespie's Institution (PI. C, 6),
Gillespie Crescent; Stewart's College, Queensferry Road (PL A, 3); Donaldson's
Hospital (p. 522); and the Merchant Company's Schools for boys and girls.
To the left rises the magnificent Infirmary (PL E, 5), consisting
of several detached buildings in the Scottish baronial style. It cost
350-400,000t., and accommodates nearly 8000 patients yearly.
The Meadow Walk (PL E, 5, 6) leads hence to the S. to the Meadows
(PL D, E, 6), an extensive recreation-ground, adjoined on the S.W. by
Brunts field Links, another public park. —At No. 25 George Square (PL 15,5,6),
to the E. of the Meadow Walk, took place the only interview between
Scott and Burns. — A little to the S. of the Meadows is the Grange
Cemetery, with the graves of Dr. Chalmers (A. 1847), Hugh Miller (d. 1856),
and Dr. Guthrie (A. 1873). — About 1 M. beyond Bruntsfield Links is Mer-
chiston Castle, the birthplace of Napier (d. 1617), the inventor of logarithms,
but now a boys' school. Merchiston station, see p. 510.
We may now return to High St. and Princes St. via Forrest Road
and George IV. Bridge (tramway) at the junction of which, to the
left, is old Grey friars' Church (PL E, 5), in the graveyard of which
the 'National Covenant' was signed in 1638.
Among the tombs in the churchyard are those of George Buchanan
(d. 1582), George Heriot (A. 1624), Sir George Mackenzie (A. 1691; the 'bluidy