520 Route 66. EDINBURGH. Arthur's Seat.
The palace occupies the site of Holyrood Abbey, founded in 1128 by
David I. on the spot where he was saved from an infuriated stag by
the interposition of a miraculous cross. The only relics of this edifice
consist of the E.E. ruined church, now called "Holyrood Chapel. The abbey-
precincts were formerly an inviolable sanctuary for criminals, and its
privileges were maintained in the case of debtors down to the abolition
of imprisonment for debt in 1880.
To the S.E. of Holyrood Palace extends the treeless King's
Park (PL H, 3, etc.), at the foot of Arthur's Seat (822 ft.; PL H, 5),
which may be ascended thence in 3/4-l hr. The path passes the
ruins of St. Antony's Chapel (PL H, 4). In fine weather the top
commands an admirable survey of the city, the Firth, the Highland
Mts. to the N.W., and the Pentland Hills to the S.W.
A pleasant road, named the Queen's Drive, encircles Arthur's Seat
(3 M.), affording a series of changing views. Proceeding to the E. from
Holyrood, we pass in succession (72 M.) St. Margaret's Loch, with St. An¬
tony's Chapel (see above) above it, and (1V« M.) Dunsappie Loch. A little
beyond the latter we have a "View to the left, below us, of Duddingston
anil Duddingston Loch; to the E. are the sea, the Bass Rock (p. 508), and the
conical North Berwick Law (p. 508); to the S.W. the Pentland Hilts (p. 524).
The Salisbury Craigs (PL G, 4, 5), the curious detached ridge on the
W. side of Arthur's Seat, afford a good view of Edinburgh. Near their
base lies Dumbiedykes (PL F, 5), the home of Jeanie Deans.
Instead of returning to Holyrood we may leave the King's Park by
the S. gate, 1 M. beyond Duddingston, and proceed to (72 M.) the suburb
of Newington (beyond PL F, G, 6), whence we may return to Princes St.
by tramway, by the suburban railway (p. 514), or on foot through the
Meadows (p. 521) and across George IV. Bridge (p. 522). Those who take
the train may alight at Blackford Hill (p. 523).
Proceeding to the E. from the Scott Monument (comp. p. 516),
we pass on the right, below the level of the street, the large Wav¬
erley Market (PL E, 3; market-hours 7-10 a.m.), the roof of which
forms a promenade. At (3 min.) the E. end of Princes St. is the
Register House (PL E, 3), containing the Scottish archives. In front
of it is a Statue of Wellington, by Steell (1852; 'the Iron Duke, in
bronze, by Steell'). Opposite stands the Post Office, an imposing
Renaissance edifice (1865). Waterloo Place, with a viaduct crossing
the street below, leads hence to the E., past the Old Calton Burial
Ground (open 9-4 on week-days; with the Martyrs' Monument,
a memorial of the Scots who fell in the American Civil War, the tomb
of David Hume, d. 1776, and the Abraham Lincoln Monument, etc.),
to (4 min.) the handsome castellated Prison (PL F, 3). The steps
opposite ascend to the Calton Hill (355 ft.; PL E, 3).
To the left, at the top of the steps, is a monument to the philosopher
Dugald Stewart (d. 1828) and a little farther on is the Old Observatory
(comp. p. 523). On the summit of the hill rises the Nelson Monument
(102 ft.; open 8-7, in winter 10-3, adm. 3d.; *View); a ball falls here at
1 p.m., when the time-gun is fired from the castle. Adjoining is the un¬
finished National Monument, erected to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo.
At the S.E. base of the Calton Hill, near the Prison, is the
High School (PL F, 3), a handsome building in a Grecian style.
[Opposite is a footpath descending direct to Holyrood.] Farther on,
to the right, are Bums's Monument and the iV_ Calton Burial
Ground (PL G, 3).