to Stranraer. STRANRAER. 05. Route. 513
monument of Samuel Rutherford (c. 1600-1661), Anwoth Church, of which
he was minister, Cardoness Castle, and Btirholme Tower, regarded by some
as the original of 'Ellangowan' (comp. p. 511). — Gatehouse of Fleet to
Dromore, see below.
From (5972 M.) Parian, at the foot of Loch Ken, an omnibus
(Is. 6d.) runs to (9 M.) Balmaclellan. — 62 M. JVeto Galloway; the
town lies 5 M. to tbe N. (omn. four times a day). The omnibus goes
on thrice daily to (4 M.) Dairy (Lochinvar Arms), a favourite
angling-resort, and once to Carsphaim. From (72 M.) Dromore an
omnibus runs twice daily to (6 M.) Gatehouse of Fleet (p. 512);
77 M. Creetown (Barholme; Ellangowan), on the E. shore of Wig¬
town Bay. ■— 8272 M. Newtown Stewart (Galloway Arms, R. 3s.;
Crown ; Grapes), with 2200 inhab., prettily situated on the Cree, is
a convenient centre for excursions to (13 M.) *Loch Trool, etc.
From Newtown Stewart to Whithorn, 19 M., branch-line in
55 minutes. — 7 M. Wigtown (Galloway Arms) is a small town (1400
inhab.) on the E. bank of Wigtown Bay. On a commanding site at the
entrance to the town is the Martyrs' Memorial, commemorating Margaret
MacLachlan (aged 63) and Margaret Wilson (a girl of 18), two Covenanters
who were tied to stakes on the beach and drowned by the rising tide of
the Solway in 1685. They are buried in the parish-churchyard. — From
(11 M.) Whauphill an omnibus plies four limes daily to (l>/4 hr.) Port Wil¬
liam, on Luce Bay, and thence twice weekly to Glenluce (see below). 15 M.
Millisle is the junction for (1 M.) Garliestown (inns). — 19 M. Whithorn
(Grapes) possesses a ruined Priory Church, believed to occupy the site of
the earliest Christian church in Scotland, built by St. Ninian (366-432).
At Isle of Whithorn, 33/t M. to the S. (omnibus daily; fare Is.), is another
ruined chapel of St. Ninian.
Near (96 M.) Glenluce are the remains of Luce Abbey (12-13th
cent.). View across Luce Bay to the Mull of Galloway. 10272 M.
Castle Kennedy, with Loch Inch Castle, the seat of the Earl of Stair,
and the ruins of Castle Kennedy. The *Grounds of Castle Kennedy
(open on Wed. & Sat.) are remarkable for their variety of coniferous
trees and their 'Dutch Garden'.
106 M. Stranraer (George, R. 4s., D. 3s. 6d.; King's Arms, R.
from 3s. 6d., D. 4s.; Meikle's, R. from 3s., D. 4s.), a thriving little
seaport (6000 inhab.), at the head of Loch Ryan, the steamers from
which afford the shortest sea-passage to Ireland (to Larne, 2 hrs.).
Pleasant excursions may be made in the Rhinns of Galloway, the
peninsula on which Stranraer lies. The railway goes on to (7 M.)
Portpatrick (Downshire Arms, pens. 7s. 6d.). — From Stranraer to
Girvan, Ayr, and Glasgow, see p. 532.
Railway Stations. 1. Waverley Station (PL E, 4), of the North British
Railway, at the E. end of Princes St., for trains to London (via Newcastle
and York, or via Carlisle and Leeds), to Glasgow, and to the N. and E. of
Scotland. — 2. Caledonian Station or Princes St. Station (PL C, 4), at the
W. end of Princes Street, for trains to London via Carlisle and Crewe, to
Liverpool and Manchester, to Glasgow and Greenock, and to the S. and S.W.
of Scotland. — 3. Haymarket Station (PL A, 5), a second station of the
N.B.R., where almost all the trains to and from the W. stop.
Baedeker's Great Britain. 6th Edit. 33