512 Route 65. CASTLE DOUGLAS. From Carlisle
Balliol (see p. 248) buried here in her own tomb. This excursion may
be combined with the preceding by crossing the ferry (Id.) from (272 M.)
Woodside to Glencaple (p. 511). From Sweetheart Abbey walkers may go
on to (372 M.) the top of Criffel (1866 ft.; -View).
From Dumfries to Moniaive, 177a M., Cairn Valley Light Railway
in 1 hr. — 5 M. Irongray, the churchyard of which contains the grave of
Helen Walker, the original of 'Jeanie Deans', marked by an inscription
by Sir Walter Scott. About i/» M- t0 tne N.W. is an interesting Covenan¬
ters' Monument. — 772 M. Newlonairds; 83/t M. Stepford. — About 5 M. to
the W. of (107s M.) Dunscore (carriages to hire) lies Craigenputtock, the
lonely moorland farmhouse in which Carlyle lived for six years (1828 34)
and wrote 'Sartor Resartus', and where he was visited by Emerson anil
Lord Jeffrey. — 1372 M. Crossford; 1574 M. Kirkland. — 17y2 M. Moniaive
(Craigdarroch Arms) lies 7 M. to the S.W. of Thornhill (see below).
From Dumfries to Glasgow, 92 M., railway in l3/4-3Vs hrs. (fares 13s.
3d., 6s. &lid.). — Soon after leaving Dumfries, we have a view of Lincluden
Abbey (p. 511) to the left. On the same side, 3-4 M. farther on, is the
white farm-house of Ellisland, where Burns wrote 'Tam o' Shanter'. —
147s M. T/ior»M/J(BuccleuchArms) contains a monument to Joseph Thomson
(1858-95), the African explorer, a native of the town. In the vicinity are
(31/.! M.) Drumlanrig Castle (castle and grounds open 10-5 on Tues. & Frid.)
and" (3 M.) Crickhope Linn. — 2672 M. Sanquhar (Queensberry Arms), with
a ruined castle. A monument marks the site of the old Cross to which the
'Sanquhar Declarations' were affixed by the Covenanters Richard Cameron,
in 1680, and James Renwick, in 1685. —37 M. New Cumnock; 4272 M. Old
Cumnock, the junction of branches to Ayr (p. 531) on the left, and Muirkirk
and Lanark (p. 531) on the right. The train crosses a lofty viaduct over
the Lugar, celebrated by Burns. 44V2 M. Auchinleck, with the mansion
of the Boswell family. — 49 M. Mauchline (Loudoun Arms), where Burns
married Jean Armour, is the junction of another line to Ayr and of a
branch to (372 M.) Catrine (Burns Hotel). Burns spent several of the most
important years of his life at Mauchline and at the farm of Mossgiel,
V-l-z M. to theN., and wrote here many of his best-known poems. The 'Braes
of Ballochmyle' are 172 M. to the S.E. of Mauchline.
58V2 M. Kilmarnock (George, R. 3s. 3d.), a busy manufacturing town
of (1901) 34,161 inhab., possesses an elaborate monument to Burns (adm.
2d.), with a museum of relics, including MSS. of several of the poet's
best-known poems and all the editions of his works hitherto published.
The first edition of Burns's poems issued from the press at Kilmarnock
in 1786. Branch-lines diverge here to Ayr via Troon (p. 531), to Irvine
(p. 531), and to Darvel and Stralhaven. — The expresses hence to Glasgow
run by Barrhead, the slow trains by Dairy. — 92 M. Glasgow (St. Enoch's
Station), see p. 526.
Beyond Dumfries the Stranraer line crosses the Nith, and, enter¬
ing the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, runs towards the S. — 4772 M.
Dalbeattie (Maxwell Arms), a pleasant little town (3650 inhab.),
with large granite - quarries and works. — 53 M. Castle Douglas
(*Douglas Arms), the chief town of Galloway, with 3000 inhab.,
lies on the N. side of Carlingwark Loch.
Excursions may be made to (272 M.) Threave Castle, a stronghold of
the Black Douglas, on an island in the Dee; to (8 M.) Auchencairn (omn.
four times weekly; Is.), etc.
A branch-line runs to the S. to (10 M.) Kirkcudbright, pron. Kircoobry
(Royal, R. or D. 3s. 6d.; Selkirk Arms), a clean little town (2400 inhab.),
at the head of the estuary of the Dee. About l/z M. to the S. is St. Mary's
Isle (adm. on application at the lodge), now a peninsula, with a heronry.
About 6 M. to the S.E. is "Dundrennan Abbey, founded about 1142 (key at a
cottage near the inn). A coach (Is. 6d.) plies twice daily from Kirkcudbright
to (872 M.) Gutehouse of Fleet (Murray Arms), a prettily-situated little town,
wlience another coach goes on to (12 M.) Creetown (p. 513), passing near the