65. From Carlisle to Dumfries and Stranraer.
106 M. Railway in 2V«-4>/s hrs. (17*. 8d., 8*. 9V2d.). Through sleeping-
cars run from London (Euston and St. Pancras) to Stranraer.
From Carlisle to (972 M.) Gretna Junction, see p. 509. Our
line here turns to the left. IO1/2 M. Gretna Green, formerly cel¬
ebrated for its runaway marriages of couples from beyond the Border,
the ceremony being generally performed by the village blacksmith.
— 18 M. Annan (Buck; Queensberry), a small town with 4300 in¬
hab., was the birthplace of the Rev. Edward Irving (1792-1834),
to whom a statue has been erected.
A line runs to the S. from Annan, across the Solway, to join the
Carlisle and Maryport Railway (p. 410). — To Kirtle Bridge, see p, 509.
25 M. Ruthwell. About l3/4 M. to the S. of the station, in the
church, is a *Runic Cross, the inscription on which is said to be
the earliest piece of written English extant. It dates from the 7th
cent., and after being broken in the 17th cent., was restored in 1802.
33 M. Dumfries (*Slation,R.from3s.6d.,D.4s.Gd.; King's Arms;
Commercial, with a room in which Prince Charles spent a night in
1745, R. 3s. Gd., D. 4s. Gd.; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), the chief town in
S.W. Scotland, with 17,000 inhab., is situated on the Nith. A con¬
spicuous building is New Grey friars Church, occupying the site of
the old castle. Close by lay the Greyfriars Monastery, in the church
of which Bruce slew the Red Comyn (1306). Adjacent is the Bums
Monument, erected in 1882. Burns's house in Bank St. is marked by
an inscription. The house in which he died (21st July, 1796) is in
Burns St., a lane leading out of St. Michael Street, next to the In¬
dustrial School, on which are a bust and inscription. His grave in
the churchyard of St. Michael's is covered by a Mausoleum (adm.
3d.), in a tasteless classical style. The Globe Inn (entr. by 44 High
St.), a favourite resort of the poet, contains his chair and lines cut
by him with a diamond on the window. The old town-buildings,
with a tower of 1707, are known as the Mid-Steeple. The Old Bridge
(13th cent.) connects the town with the suburb of Maxwelltown, in
which is the Observatory (adm., Gd., Sat. 3d.; view), containing a
Environs. Crossing the bridge to Maxwelltown, taking the first turn
to the right, and following the road to the N., we reach (IY2 M.) Lin-
cludcn Abbey, prettily situated at the confluence of the Cluden and the
Nith. The Abbey, a Benedictine house, was founded in the 12th cent.,
but the present remains are chiefly of a later date (14-15th cent.). The
walk may be continued up the Cluden to (3 M.) Irongray (p. 512). — On
the estuary of the Nith, 3 M. to the S. of Dumfries, is Glencaple (Nith;
Ship), the 'Portanferry' of 'Guy Mannering', a small watering-place, and
3 M. farther, on the Solway, is "Caerlaverock Castle (the 'Ellangowan' of
'Guy Mannering'), an ancient stronghold of the Maxwells (Earls of Niths-
dale), dating in its present form mainly from the 15th century. Caerlaverock
churchyard, 2 M. to the N. of the castle, contains the grave of 'Old Mor¬
tality' (R. Paterson). — Another charming excursion may be taken to
(772 M.) "New or Sweetheart Abbey, to the W. of the Nith estuary. The
abbey was founded in 1275 by Devorguilla Balliol, and derives its name
(douce coeur) from the fact that she had the heart of her husband John