510 Route 64. CARSTAIRS JUNCTION.
the Devil's Beef Tub (which figures in 'Redgauntlet'), 5 M. to the N.; Beld
Craig, a wooded glen with a 'linn', or waterfall, 372 M. to the S.E.; the
(l'/u M.) Meeting of the Waters (the Annan, the Moffat, and the Evan); Gar-
pie Glen, 3 M. to the S.; Lochwood Oaks, 6 M. to the S.E.; and Raehills,
8 M. to the S.E. — Coaches ply thrice weekly to (16 M.) St. Mary's Loch
(passing the Grey Mare's Tail) in connection with the Selkirk coaches
(comp. p. 506; fare 3*., return 5s., driver extra).
Beyond Beattock we reach Beattock Summit, the highest point
of the line (1030 ft.), and begin to descend into Clydesdale. We
cross the infant Clyde at (352'/2 M.) Elvanfoot, whence a light rail¬
way runs to Leadhills and Wanlockhead, with lead and silver mines.
Leadhills, the highest inhabited spot in Scotland, was the birth¬
place of Allan Ramsay (1686-1758). — From (3661/2 M.) Syming¬
ton, the best station for an ascent of Tinto Hill (2300 ft.; view), a
branch-line diverges to (3 M.) Biggar and (19 M.) Peebles (p. 506).
At (3737a M.) Carstairs Junction (Rail. Rfmt. Rms.) the Cale¬
donian Railway forks, the W. branch going on to Glasgow, and the
K. arm to Edinburgh. Those bound for the Falls of Clyde change
carriages here for (472 M.) Lanark (p. 531).
The chief stations on the Glasgow line, which traverses an iron and
coal district, are (872 M.) Carluke, (131/2 M.) Wishaw, (16 M.) Motherwell
(Royal), the junction of lines to Hamilton (p. 530) and Whifflet (for Airdrie
and Coatbridge), and to (6 M.) Uddingston (p. 526). — 27 M. Glasgow (Cen¬
tral Station), see p. 52ii.
The Edinburgh line turns to the right (N.). 375 M. Carnwath.
Beyond (3791/2 M.) Auchengray the train skirts the N. slopes of
the Pentland Hills. To the right, at (38372 M.) Cobbinshaw, is the
large reservoir (880 ft.) of the Union Canal. At (391 M.) Midcalder
we join the direct line from Glasgow to Edinburgh via Holytown
(p. 526). Mineral oil-works abound in this district. 39572 M.
Currie Hill. Farther on, Corstorphine Hill (p. 524) comes into sight
on the left, and Arthur's Seat (p. 520) on the right. 39872 M- Slate-
ford; 3991/4 M. Merchiston.
400 M. Edinburgh (Caledonian Station), see R. 66.
d. By Sea.
The steamers of the London Si Edinburgh Shipping Company leave
the Hermitage Wharf, Wapping, every Tues., Wed., and Sat. for Leith (p. 523);
those of the General Steam Navigation Co. leave Irongate and St.Kather-
ine's Wharf every Wed. and Sat. for Granton (p. 524). Fares in each case
22*., 16*. (food extra); duration of voyage about 30-36 hrs.
The steamers of the Carron Company ply on Mon., Wed., & Sat. from
the Carron and London and Continental Wharves to Grangemouth (22*., 16*.),
for Glasgow (26*., 24*., 17*. 6d.) and the West of Scotland, and on Frid.
to Borrowstounness (same fares) for Edinburgh. The steamers sail up the
Forth and under the Forth Bridge (p. 550).
Steamers of the Clyde Shipping Company leave St. Katherine Dock
every Tues., Thurs., Frid., and Sat. for Greenock and Glasgow (30s., 12*.
6d.; in about 72 hrs.), via the S. of England and the Irish Channel.
These routes may be recommended to leisurely travellers in
fine weather. Circular Tour Tickets are issued, permitting the
journey to be made in one direction by the E. coast and in the
other direction by the W. coast.