to Edinburgh. MOFFAT. 64. Route. OUy
the fishing-village of Cockenzie. — A little farther on we pass the
scene of the battle of Pinkie (1547 ; to the left). 386'/2 M. Inveresk.
— 3881/2 M. New Hailes.
New Hailes is the junction of a short line to (I72 M.) Musselburgh
(Musselburgh Arms), a small seaport, much frequented by Edinburgh
golfers. Horse-races are held here in autumn. To the W. of Musselburgh
is the fishing-village of Fisherrow, which extends nearly to Joppa and Easter
Duddingston, suburbs of Portobello (p. 507).
Another short line runs from New Hailes to Smeaton, Ormiston (with
an old cross), Winton, and (7M.) Macmerry, near Tranent (see p. 508). At
Ormiston a light railway diverges for Pencaitland, Saltoun, HumUe, and Gifford.
At (390 M.) Portobello we join the Waverley Route (R. 64a).
393 M. Edinburgh, see R. 66.
c. Via Crewe and Carlisle.
L.N.W. and Caledonian Railways ('West Coast Route') from Euston
Station to (400 M.) Edinburgh in 8-12i/4 hrs.; to (401 M.) Glasgow in 8-1272 hrs.
Restaurant or sleeping-cars by the principal trains. Luncheon-baskets,
see p. 503.
From London to (1721/,2 M.) Acton Bridge, see R. 44a; thence
to (194 M.) Wigan, see p. 406; and thence to (299 M.) Carlisle, see
11. 47. The train runs towards the N.W. Near (306 M.) Floriston it
crosses the Esk and enters the 'Debatable Ground'. View to the left
of the Solway Firth. — 308'/2 M. Gretna Junction (comp. p. 511).
From Gretna Junction to Dumfries and Stranraer, see R. 65.
We now cross the Sark and enter Scotland. 313 M. Kirkpatrick;
317 M. Kirtle Bridge, the junction of a branch to (5'/2 M.) Annan
(p. 511). At Kirkconnell, 2*/2 M. to the N., is the grave of 'Helen
of fair Kirkconnell Lee'. — 320 M. Ecclefechan (Inn, plain), a
small village in a somewhat bleak district, taking its name from
the Irish St. Fechan (6th cent.), contains the birth-house and grave
of Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881). The house (small fee) , on the right
side of the village-street as we come from the station, is distin¬
guished by the archway leading through it; it contains several
interesting memorials and relics of Carlyle. Travellers by the
fast trains, who wish to visit Ecclefechan, alight at Lockerbie.
About 3 M. to the N. is the hill of Birrenswark (920 ft.; view), with
interesting Roman camps and British (?) forts.
326 M. Lockerbie (King's Arms; Blue Bell; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms,
temperance), a small town with 2400 inhab., is the junction of a
line to (14 M.) Dumfries (p. 511).
340 M. Beattock (Rail. Rfmt. Rooms, temperance) is the junc¬
tion for (2 M.) Moffat (Buccleuch Arms; Annandale, R. 3s. 6d.,
D. 3s.-3s. Gd., well spoken of; ""Hydropathic; Lodgings'), a small
town with 2150 inhab. (doubled in the season), on the Annan, and
one of the chief inland watering-places of Scotland. Omnibuses
ply daily (6d.) to the sulphureous-saline Wells (625 ft.), which lie
l'/4 M. from the town and about 300 ft. above it.
The Environs of Moffat are pretty and afford several pleasant excur¬
sions, among the most popular being those to (1M.) Gallow Hill, the
wooded height to the N. of the town; Hartfell Spa, V/t M. to the N.E.;