508 Route 04. HADDINGTON. From London
old Castle, which plays a prominent role in Scottish history, stand
on a crag immediately above the harbour, and command a fine view.
Beyond Dunbar we have a good view to the right of the Bass
Rock (see below), North Berwick Law (see below), and the Isle of May
(see below). About 3 M. to the N. E. of (370 M.) East Linton is
Tyninghame House, the seat of the Earl of Haddington, surrounded
by finely-wooded grounds, which are open to the public on Saturday.
3751/2M. Drem is the junction of the short line via. Dirleton (see
below) to (5 M.) North Berwick (""Marine, R. from 4s. Gd., D. 5s.;
Royal, at the station; Private Hotels and Lodgings), a very favourite
seaside-resort, rivalling St. Andrews (p. 551). Its attractions in¬
clude a good sandy beach, picturesquely interspersed with rocks,
admirable but crowded golfing-links, and a neighbourhood which
affords many pleasant excursions. At the back of the town rises
North Berwick Law (612 ft.), which commands a delightful view.
Off the coast are several rocky islands, the most important of which
is the Bass Rock (see below). In a field near the station are the ruins
of a Cistercian Monastery (1216). North Berwick is within % hr.
of Edinburgh by quick through-trains, and excursion-steamers ply
to and from Leith in summer. Pop. 2780.
Excursions. A motor omnibus runs ten times daily from the station
to (40 min.) Aberlady (see below) via (2 M.) Dirleton (4d.) and Gullane
f8d.; see below). Dirleton, one of the prettiest of Scottish villages, has
a ruined Castle (open to visitors on Thurs.).
To the E. (2y2 M.) is Canty Bay (hotel), the starting-point for a visit
to the Bass Rock, which lies I72 M. from the shore (steam-launch 10s.;
fishing-boat less). The 'Bass Rock, which rises abruptly from the sea
to a height of 320 ft., is the haunt of myriads of solan geese and other
sea-birds. On it are a new Lighthouse (1902) and the ruins of an old Castle,
formerly used for the confinement of English prisoners and afterwards of
Covenanters. The landing is difficult except in calm weather. — On the
coast, about V2 M. beyond Canty Bay, are the ruins of *Tantallon Castle
(adm. free), a stronghold of the Douglases, the romantic situation and
appearance of which are most accurately described in 'Marmion'. — Tyning¬
hame Woods (see afcove) are 372 M. beyond Tantallon. — Excursion-steamers
ply in summer to (10 JI.) the Isle of May, on which is a lighthouse.
379'/2 M. Longniddry is the junction of a line to (4'/2 M-)
Haddington (George; Black Bull), a small town (5000 inhab.) on
the Tyne, with an important grain-market. The Knox Institute
commemorates the fact that John Knox was born in the suburb of
Oiffordgate in 1505. Mrs. Carlyle (Jane Welsh; d. 1866), another
native of Haddington, is buried in the churchyard.
Another short branch-line runs from Longniddry to Aberlady, Luffness,
and Gullane (Bisset's, R. from 3s., D. 3s. 6d.; Marine, R. 4s. 6d., D. 3s. 6d.),
with five admirable golfing-links within .1 radius of 372 M.
Just before reaching (383'/2 M.) Prestonpans we pass, to the
right, the field of Prestonpans, where Prince Charles Stuart defeat¬
ed the Royalists in 1745. The monument to the left, close to the
line, commemorates Col. Gardiner, who fell in the battle. Preston¬
pans takes its name from its salt-pans, and has given name to a
light table-beer. Prestonpans is also the station for Tranent and