to Edinburgh. DUNBAR. 64. Route. 507
The train now ascends the valley of the Gala Water. From
(384 M.) Fountainhall a light railway runs via Oxton to (10^2 M.)
Lauder, where Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus, snrnamed 'Bell
the Cat', seized and hanged Cochrane, favourite of James III.
(1482). Beyond (390 M.) Tynehead, where we reach the highest
point (900 ft.) of this part of the line, we pass the ruins of Crichton
Castle (15th cent.) on the right and Borthwick Castle (1430; with
room occupied by Queen Mary and Bothwell) on the left. — 393 M.
Fushiebridge. — 394 M. Gorebridge. To the left are Dalhousie Castle
(12th cent.; much altered and enlarged) and Cockpen. Near (397 M.)
Dalhousie is Newbattle Abbey, the fine seat of the Marquis of
Lothian; in the grounds is the largest beech in the kingdom, 33 ft.
in girth. 398 M. Eskbank, the station for Dalkeith (p. 525). Arthur's
Seat (p. 520) comes into sight on the left.
403 M. Portobello (Brighton; Royal; Marine Temperance), the
Margate of Edinburgh, in which it is now included, with extensive
sands and a promenade-pier (Id.; band on Sat. in summer). — We
here join the East Coast Route (R. 64b), skirt the base of the
Calton Hill (p. 520), with the castellated Prison, and enter the
Waverley Station at —
406 M. Edinburgh (see R. 66).
b. Via York, Newcastle, and Berwick.
Great Northern, North Eastern, and North British Railwats
('East Coast Route') from King's Cross to 093 M.) Edinburgh in 73/4-107« hrs.;
to (444 M.) Glasgow in 973-12 hrs. Restaurant-cars on the principal trains.
From London to (335Y2M.) Berwick, see R. 52. — Beyond Ber¬
wick the line skirts the coast, turning inland at (341 M.) Burn-
mouth, a picturesque fishing-village, whence a branch-line diverges
to (3 M.) Eyemouth (Cross Keys), a busy little fishing-town, with
2570 inhabitants. — 343 M. Ayton. — 347 M. Reston ( Wheatsheaf)
is the junction of a line to Duns and St. Boswells (comp. p. 504).
Near the coast, 372 M. to the N.E. of Reston (omn. Is.), is the village
of Coldingham (New Inn), with the Transition Norman ruins of a Bene¬
dictine priory, founded in 1098. From Coldingham we may proceed to the
N. to (272 M.) '-St. Abb's Head, a bold rocky promontory, rising 310 ft.
above the sea. On it are a Lighthouse and a ruined Church (14th cent.). —
About 3V2 M. farther up the coast are the scanty ruins of 'Fast Castle,
perched upon a precipitous cliff that has been identified with the 'Wolfs
Crag' of the 'Bride of Lammermoor'. Walkers who have come thus far
may go on to rejoin the railway at (7 M.) Cockburnspalh (see below).
Beyond Reston the train follows the course of the Eye. 352 M.
Grant's House. Beyond (356'/2 M.) Cockburnspalh (inn) we again
reach the sea. 359*/2 M. Innerwick. Farther on we cross the Broxburn,
where Cromwell defeated the Scots at the Battle of Dunbar (1650).
363V2M. Dunbar (Royal; Belle Vue, R. from 4s. Gd., D. 4s.;
George), a seaport and fishing-station, with 3600 inhab., is visited as
a summer-resort and has good golf-links, The scanty ruins of the