to Edinburgh. MELROSE. 64. Rotite. DUO
'Jeddart Staves' were long unpleasantly familiar to the English Bor¬
derers. — Excursions may be made from Jedburgh to (2 M.) Ferniherst
Castle (16th cent.), to (4 M.) the Waterloo Monument on Penielheugh (comp.
p. 504), and to (2 M.) Dunion Hill (1095 ft.; -View).]
The three hills, or rather triple-peaked hill, that have for
some time been visible to the left are theEildons (1385 ft.), which
owe their present appearance, according to tradition, to the agency
of the devil, working at the bidding of the wizard Michael Scott.
Thomas of Ercildoun, or 'Thomas the Rhymer' (13th cent.) is said to have
been carried off by the Queen of the Fairies, and detained for three years,
like Tannhauser in the Venusberg, in an enchanted land inside the hills.
As we approach Melrose we have (right) a view of the abbey.
369 M. Melrose (Abbey, R. from 3s. 6o!., D. 2s. 6d.-5s.; George,
R. 3s. ; King's Arms; Waverley, R. 2s., D. 2s. 6d., Anderson's, two
temperance hotels, well spoken of; Waverley Hydropathic, V^M.from
the station, pens, from 8s.), a small town with about 1450 inhab.,
is prettily situated on the Tweed. The Town Cross, at the head of
the High Street, dates from the 14th century.
*Melrose Abbey, indisputably the finest ruin in Scotland, lies
a few hundred yards to the N. of the railway-station (adm. 6d.).
Originally founded in the 12th cent, by David L, that 'sair sanct
for the crown', the abbey was afterwards almost wholly destroyed
by Edward II. and rebuilt by Robert Bruce (14th cent.), and once
more destroyed and rebuilt in the following century.
The principal part of the present remains is the 'Choir, a fine example
of late-Gothic (ca. 1450), with slender shafts, richly-carved capitals, elab¬
orate vaulting, and large and exquisitely-traceried windows (especially
the *E. Window). The Transept crosses the choir near its E. end. Of
the Nave there are comparatively few remains. The beautiful sculp¬
tures throughout the church were sadly defaced at the Reformation. On
the N. side are two Norman arches. Alexander II. and the heart of Robert
Bruce are interred at the E. end, near the site of the high-altar. The
tomb of Michael Scott is pointed out in the chapel on the S. side of the
choir (to the E. of the S. transept), and Sir David Brewster (see p. 504) is
buried in the churchyard, close to the S. wall of the aisle.
On the right bank of the Tweed, 2 M. above Melrose, lies
*Abbotsford, the picturesque home of Sir Walter Scott (open 10-5;
adm. Is.). The road to it (carr. 6s., coach Is. 6d.) leads to the W.
from Melrose, passing the Waverley Hydropathic Establishment and
tho village of Darnick, with its old 'peel' or Border tower.
In 1811 Scott bought the small farm of Clarly Hole, changing its name
to Abbotsford, planting it with trees, and beginning the large and irreg¬
ularly-built mansion which he occupied till his death in 1832. The rooms
shown include the great novelist's Study, the Library, the Drawing Room,
the Armoury, and the En-trance Hall. They contain numerous personal
relics of Scott and many historical curiosities. — The house is owned by
the Hon. Mrs. Constable-Maxwell-Scolt, a great-granddaughter of Scott.
Next in interest to Abbotsford among places near Melrose is
Db.ybub.gh Abbbt, where Sir Walter Scott is interred in the burial-
vault of his ancestors (carr. there and back direct 8s, coach 2s.).
The pleasantest way to make this excursion is to walk or drive via, the
Eildon Hills (see above) and St. Boswells (p. 504; 41/! M.) and return by Be-
merside (6 M.; carr. for the round, with one horse 10s. 6d., with two 13-15s.).