504 Roxile 64. HAWICK. From London
Newcastleton, the centre of the district of Liddesdale, the homo
of 'Dandie Dinmont' (comp. p. 460). — 340 M. Riccarton Junction
is the junction of a line to Reedsmouth and Hexham (see p. 461).
Farther on (left) rise the Maiden Paps (1675 ft.).
353'li M. Hawick (Tower; Victoria), a woollen making town
with 17,300 inhab., contains little to detain the tourist. About 3 M.
to the S.W. is Branksome (Branxholme) Tower, which still, as in
the 'Lay of the Last Minstrel', belongs to the Buccleuch family.
Beyond Hawick we see to the right *Ruberslaw (1390 ft.), a
finely-shaped hill commanding an extensive view. To the right of
(358 M.) Hassendean, the home of 'Jock o' Hazeldean', are the
picturesquely-wooded Minio Crags (720 ft.; *View), in the grounds
of Minto House, seat of the Earl of Minto. — 366 M. St. Boswells
is the nearest station to (1 M.) Dryburgh Abbey (p. 505); walkers
may alight here, visit the abbey, and then go on to (4 M.) Melrose/
From St. Boswells to Kelso and Berwick, 3572 M., railway in
2-2'/.| hrs. (fares 5s. 6d., 2s. lid.). The line runs along the S. bank of the
Tweed. To the right is the Waterloo Monument, on the top of Penielheugh
(775 ft.); to the left is Smailholm Tower, the scene of Scott's 'Eve of St. John'.
Adjoining the latter is the farm of Sandyknowe, where Scott, when a child,
often visited his grandfather. — Beyond (9 M.) Roxburgh, the junction of
the line to (7 M.) Jedburgh (see below), the train crosses the Teviot. Floors
Castle, the magnificent seat of the Duke of Roxburghe, is seen among the
trees to the left (visitors admitted to the grounds on Wed.). Near Floors
are the scanty remains of Roxburgh Castle.
1172 M. Kelso (Cross Keys, R. 3s. 6d.; Queen's Head), a prosperous little
market-town with 4000 inhab., 1 M. from the station, is chiefly of interest
for its 'Abbey, a small but fine ruin in the Norman and E. E. styles,
founded by David I. about 1130 and destroyed by the English in 1545. The
Museum (open on Mon., Wed., & Frid., 12-3) contains objects of local in¬
terest. — At Ednam, 2 M. to the N.E., is an obelisk to Thomson, the poet,
who was born there in 1700. — Beyond (16 M.) Carham we cross the border
and enter England.
22 M. Coldstream (Newcastle Arms) gives its name to the Coldstream
Ouards, raised here by General Monk in 1660. The station is on the Eng¬
lish side of tbe Tweed, ii/iM. to the S. of the town, which is in Scotland.
About 5 M. to the S. is the field of Flodden, where the Scottish army, led by
James IV., was defeated by the English in 1513. From Coldstream to
Alnmouth, see p. 453. — At (2572 M.) Twizell we cross the Till. The Nor¬
man keep (12th cent.) of (2772 M.) Norham appears in the opening scene of
'Marmion'. — 34 M. Tweedmouth.—357z M. Berwick-upon-Tweed, see p. 459.
Another line rnns from St. Boswells to (42 M.) Berwick (p. 459), via
(472 M.) Earlslon, with the Rhymer's Tower (comp. p. 505), (22 M.) Duns (Swan,
R. 2s. 9d.), and (31 M.) Reslon Junction (p. 507), where we join the 'East
[Jedburgh (Spread Eagle; Royal), a picturesque little border-town,
with a stormy past, lies on the Jed, and contains about 3100 inhabitants.
Medburgh Abbey (adm. 6d.), founded by David I. in 1118, is one of the
largest and most beautiful ecclesiastical ruins in Scotland (late-Norman,
with subsequent modifications). Lord Campbell (1779-1861) is buried in
the S. aisle; and in the N. transept is the tomb of the eighth Marquis of
Lothian, with a recumbent statue by G. F. Watts. Queen Mary lodged in an
old house in Queen Street in 1566, and Prince Charles Stuart at 9 Castle-
gate (after Prestonpans); Burns lived at 27 Canongate in 1787, Sir David
Brewster (1781-1868) was born in a house (now the Victoria Model Lodging
House) in the same street, and Scott visited Wordsworth at 5 Abbey Close
(1805). 'Jeddart Justice', like Lidford Law (p. 141), is proverbial; and