498 Route 63. SOUTHEND.
the Thames estuary via Pur fleet, Grays, Tilbury Docks (Tilbury
Grand Hotel), and (2272 M.) Tilbury (see Baedeker's London), re¬
joining the direct line, beyond (28 M.) Stanford-le-Hope, with an
interesting church, at Pitsea (see below).
ll'/4 M. Dagenham; 13'/2M. Hornchurch, junction for Romford
(p. 488) ; 15V4 M. Vpminster, junction for Ockenden; 19!/4 M. East
Horndon; 23 M. Laindon. — 261/2 M- Pitsea. — Near (29l/4 M.)
Benfleet is Hadleigh, with the Salvation Army Farm Colony, and the
ruins of Hadleigh Castle. — 35 M. Westcliff-on-Sea (hotel, see
below) is the W. and less crowded suburb of Southend.
36 M. Southend (Royal; Hope; Victoria; Alexandra; Grand
Pier; Ship; Queen's, at Westcliff), a popular watering-place at the
mouth of the Thames, with (1901) 28,857 inhab., is chiefly patron¬
ized by excursionists from London. It possesses an Esplanade, an
iron Pier (toll Id.), l1^ M. long, traversed by a tramway (3d.), a
Golf Course, a Theatre, a Kursaal, and other places of amusement.
There are two railway stations, one belonging to the G. E. R., the
other to the London, Tilbury, & Southend Railway. Excursion-
steamers ply to and from London in summer; and a steamer sails
daily in summer to Ostend.
From Soutuend to Siienfield, 2172 M., G. E. railway in'/Vl hr. (fares
2s. 3d., Is. 5d.). — 1 M. Prittlewell has an interesting church. — 3 M. Roch-
ford (King's Head) contains a mansion once the property of the Boleyns.
At King's Hill, to the E. of the village, a curious ceremony, known as the
'Lawless Court' is still celebrated about midnight of the first Tuesday
after Michaelmas. — From (1272 M.) Wickford a branch-line runs to the N.E.
via (5 M.) Woodham Ferris and (8>/2 M.) Cold Norton to (12 M.) Maldon
(King's Head, R. 2s. 6d., 1). 4s.; see p. 48S). Lawrence Washington, great
grandfather of George Washington, was rector of Purleigh, near Cold
Norton, from 1632 till his ejection in 1643. The fine tower of the church
is now being restored as a Washington Memorial at the expense of
Americans (subscriptions invited). — From Woodham Ferris a line runs
to the E. to (I6V2 M.) Southminster, via (13J/2 M ) Bumham-on-Crouch (White
Hart, well spoken of), a small town (2918 inhab.) on the estuary of the
Crouch, frequented for boating and sea-fowl shooting. The church of Brad-
well, 5 M. to the N. of Southminster, contains some remains of 14th cent.
decoration. — 17 M. Billericay (Red Lion). — At (2172 M.) Shenfield we
join the main line from London to Colchester (see p. 488).
39y2 M. Shoeburyness (Cambridge Hotel) is the government
station for artillery practice, with a long gun-range. Important ex¬
periments in modern ordnance take place here; and the Artillery
Volunteers hold their annual competition here in August. The
church of South Shoebury is partly Norman.