62. From Cambridge to Newmarket and Bury
Great Eastern Railway to (14 M.) Newmarket in 25-40 min. (2s. 7d.,
Is. 2d.); to (28 M.) Bury St. Edmunds in i-iy« hr. (5s. 4d., 2s. 4d.).
Cambridge, see p. 475. The country traversed is flat. Near New¬
market we cross a singular earthwork known as the Devil's Dyke.
14 M. Newmarket (Rutland Arms; White Hart; Victoria), a town
with 10,686 inhab., is situated partly in Cambridgeshire, partly in
Suffolk, the main street being the boundary between these counties.
Newmarket is the headquarters of the Jockey Club and the metro¬
polis of horse-racing. No fewer than eight race-meetings take place yearly,
viz. the Craven Meeting, about Easter, First and Second Spring Meetings
(at the latter of which the 'Two Thousand Guineas' is run), First and Second
July Meetings, First and Second October Meetings ('Cesarewitch' run at the
latter), and Houghton Meeting (with the Cambridgeshire Handicap), at the
end of October. Beds and living rise to famine prices during the races.
The races are run at different parts of Newmarket Heath (comp. Baedeker's
London). At other seasons the morning gallops of the horses in training
(about 1500) are a perennial source of interest to the betting world.
The old Palace in the High St., built by Charles II., who was a con¬
stant patron of Newmarket Races, is now occupied by the Duke of Rut¬
land. The houses of 'Old Q' (the Duke of Queensberry), Nell Gwynne,
and various other quondam visitors are also shown.
28 M. Bury St. Edmunds (Angel; Suffolk, R. from 4s. 6d., D.
from 2s. 6d.; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), a bright and interesting little
town with 16,255 inhab., first came into notice as the burial-place
of St. Edmund, the last King of East Anglia, whose shrine here
was long one of the chief resorts of English pilgrims. The abbey
erected in the 11th cent, over his tomb soon attained great wealth
and importance. See the characteristic account of Bury by Carlyle,
in 'Past and Present'.
Opposite the Angel Hotel is the Abbey Gateway, a fine Dec. structure
of 1337, leading to the Botanic Gardens (adm. 6d.), which contain the chief
remains of the Abbey, including the ruins of the Church (within a railing,
at the S.E. corner), the Abbot's Palace, and the Abbot's Bridge (N.E. corner).
— Among other points of interest in Bury are St. James's Church, a Perp,
edifice of the 15th cent.; a Norman Tower (ca. 1090); St. Mary's Church,
with a fine timber ceiling (15th cent.); and Moyses Hall, a late-Norman
building, supposed to have been a Jewish synagogue.
In the environs of Bury are (4 M.) Hengrave Hall, a fine Tudor
mansion; Ickworth House (3 M.), the seat of the Marquis of Bristol; Barton
House (2 M.); Culford Hall (3 M.; Earl Cadogan), etc.
Beyond Bury the railway goes on to Haughley Road Junction, where
it joins the line from Ipswich to Norwich (comp. p. 490). — Branch-lines
also run from Bury to Thetford (p. 486) and Mark's Tey (p. 488).
63. From London to Southend and Shoeburyness.
3972 M. Railway in iy2-2 hrs. (fares 4s. 8d., 2s. id.); to (36 M.) South¬
end in 3/t-2 hrs. (fares 4s. 4d., 2s. 2d.). The above fares are from Fenchurch
Street Station or from Liverpool Street. From Chalk Farm the fares are
This line skirts the N. batik of the Thames to (8 M.) Barking,
where it turns to the N. Some trains, however, continue to follow
Baedeker's Great Britain. Gth Edit. 32