61. From London to Lowestoft and Yarmouth.
Great Eastern Bailwat to (11772 M.) Lowestoft in 22/3-47'3 hrs.. (fares
22s., 9s. 1072d.); to (121V2 M.) Yarmouth in 272-473 hrs. (fares 22s. 8d.,
10s. Id.). Cheap excursion-fares in summer.
As far as (69 M.) Ipswich this route coincides with R. 60. The
first station beyond Ipswich is (72 M.) Westerfield, where a line
diverges to Felixstowe (p. 490). — 84'/2 M- Wickham Market is
the junction of a line to (6^2 M.) Framlingham (Crown, R. 3s.,
'ordinary' 3s.), with a picturesque ruined castle, a fine church con¬
taining some interesting monuments (Earl of Surrey, the poet, etc.),
and the Albert Memorial College. — 91 M. Saxmundham.
A short branch-line runs hence via (4 M.) Leiston (with ruined abbey)
to (872 M ) Aldeburgh (Wentworth Castle; Brudenell, 10s. per day, very
fair; White Lion; East Suffolk), a pleasant seaside resort with a good golf-
course. The church contains some good brasses and a memorial of the
poet Crabbe (1751-1832), a native of the parish, who describes the town
in 'The Borough'. The town-hall or moot-hall is a half-timbered building
of the 16th century.
95'/2 M. Darsham (Stradbroke Arms) is the station for (5'/2 M.)
Dunwich (Barne Arms), the earliest seat of the East Anglian
bishopric (founded ca. 630). Successive encroachments of the sea
have swept away its palaces and churches, and it is now a small
village. — 101 M. Halesworth (Angel) has a Perp. church, with
some interesting brasses.
A narrow-gauge railway runs hence to (9 M.) Southwold ("Centre Cliff;
'Swan), another little watering-place, with a golf-course. The fine Perp.
church contains an interesting rood-screen. Excursions may be made to
Dunwich (see above), Coverhithe, Walberswick, and Blythburgh, all with
interesting churches. A motor-omnibus plies hence to Lowestoft (see below).
109 Beccles (King's Head, R. from 2s. 6d.) is the junction for
Bungay and Tivetshall (p. 490) on the W., and for (8'/2M-) Lowe¬
stoft on the E. The church of St. Michael has a detached stone
tower (92 ft. high), ascended by a stone staircase.
Lowestoft (*Royal, opposite the pier; Grand, Empire, R. 5s.,
D. 5s. 6d., two palatial establishments on the S. Cliff; Harbour;
Suffolk; Crovm, R. or D. 4s.; Crown fy Anchor, R. or D. 4s.;
Royal Oak), the most E. town in England, is one of the most im¬
portant fishing-stations in the world and a fashionable sea-bathing
resort with 29,842 inhab. in 1901. South Lowestoft, with its long
Esplanade and the S. Pier (adm. Id.; concert-pavilion), is the water¬
ing-place proper. The old town, to the N. of the harbour, contains
a fine Perp. Church. The Town Hall, in High St., contains a stained-
glass window ('Field of the Cloth of Gold') commemorating the
British and French alliance in the Crimean War. Close by is the
Sparrow's Ned, a public museum with pretty grounds. The narrow
lanes running from the High St. towards the sea are known as the
'Scores'. At the N. end of the town are Bellevue Park, with a band¬
stand, and the North PaTade Cliffs, with a new Pier, and North
Lowestoft Station (p. 495). Below extend the N. Denes, a common