CROMER. 60. Route. 493
wich Triennial Musical Festival', etc It contains portraits by Becchey
(Lord Nelson), Gainsborough, Opie, and Hoppner (adm. 3d.).
Many of the other churches of Norwich show interesting specimens
of the characteristic East Anglian 'flush-work', so called because faced
flints are used to fill up flush the interstices of the freestone pattern (comp.
p. liii). A few remains of the City Walls still exist, including two or
three of the forty towers with which it was strengthened. Quaint mediaeval
houses abound. — There are three Roman Catholic Churches, including a very
large one, designed by Sir G. G. Scott, begun in 1884 and still unfinished.
A good view of Norwich is obtained from Mousehold Heath, on the
left bank of the Wensum (to the E.). Robert Ket (p. 486) encamped beneath
the 'Oak of Reformation' on this heath, during the insurrection of 1549.
About 3 M. to the S. of Norwich is Caistor St. Edmund, with a large
Roman camp, perhaps the true Venta Icenorum (comp. p. 491).
The Dolphin Inn at Heigham, V/i M. to tbe N.W. of Norwich, is on
interesting old house, parts of which probably date from the 14th century.
Bishop Hall died here in 1656 and is buried in the parish-church.
From Norwich to Yarmouth, 1872 M., railway in 3j\ hr. (fares 2s. 6d.,
Is. 6d.). This line traverses the district of the 'Norfolk Broads' (see
p. 496). The train starts from Thorpe Station (p. 491). 2 M. Whitlingham,
see below. At (6 M.) Brundall the railway forks, the N. branch running
direct to Yarmouth via, Lingwood and Acle (King's Head; Queen's Head;
a good centre for visiting the Broads, p. 496), while the S. branch makes
a detour via Reedham (junction for Lowestoft, p. 494). Brundall is the
station for Surlingham Broad. Yarmouth, see p. 4! 5.
From Norwich to Cromer, 24 M., railway (from Thorpe Station) in
3/4-l hr. (fares 4s., 2s.). At (2 M.) Whitlingham the line diverges to the N.
(left) from that to Yarmouth. — 9 M. Wroxham, with the 'Queen of the Nor¬
folk Broads' (comp. p. 496), is the junction of aline to Aylsham and Dere¬
ham (p. 4S6). A steamer plies in summer on the Bure between Wroxboin
and Yarmouth (p. 495). — 13 M. Worstead (New Inn) gave its name to
worsted yarn, a colony of Flemish weavers having settled here in the 12th
century. The church is interesting. — I672M. North Walsham(Angel; King's
Arms), with a large Perp. church and the Paston Grammar School at which
Lord Nelson and Archbp. Tenison were pupils, has another station on the
Mid. & G. N. R. from Yarmouth to Lynn (p. 487). A branch-line runs
hence via, Knapton tt Paston to (5 M.) Mundesley (Manor House; Royal;
Clarence; Ship), whence a coach plies to theN. by the coast to Cromer(8M.;
see below). Paston, wilh memorials of tbe Paston family, lies 1 M. to the
E. of its station. — Near (20 M.) Gunton is Gunton Park, the seat of Lord
Suffield; the house is open daily (10 till dusk), the garden and grounds
on Thurs. (motor-car 2s., carr. Is., bicycle 6d., pedestrians free). — 24 M.
Cromer (Grand; Mitropole; Tucker's Royal; Royal Links, R. from 4s. (id.,
D. 5s. 6d.; Red Lion, R. 3s.-5s., D. 3s. 6d.; Bath; Bond Street Restaurant), the
'English Etretat', perhaps the most charming spot in East Anglia, is a
flourishing watering-place with a pier (500 ft.) a spacious esplanade, ad¬
mirably firm and smooth sands, and cliffs 60-200 ft. high. The tower of
the Perp. Church is a fine specimen of flint-work (p. liii); chancel rebuilt
in 1889. The Lighthouse, on a height to the E. ('/a hr.), commands a fine
view. Adjacent are good golf-links. Excursions may he made to Felbrigg
Hall (3 M. to the S.), Mundesley (see above; 8 M.), the Roman Camp (4M.;
•View), etc. The heaths round Cromer abound in so-called pit-dwellings'. —
Through express-trains from London to Cromer (139 M. in 3^2 hrs.) are run
by the G.E.R., and from London to Cromer Beach (p. 487; 164 M. in 474 hrs.)
via Peterborough and Lynn by the G. N. R.
From Norwich to Fakenham and Lynn, 50 M., railway in l2/i-2lf3 hrs.
(fares 6s. 6d., 3s. 3d.). This line (Midland & G. N. R.) starts from" the
City Station (p. 491), crosses the G. E. R. at Reepham, and at (22 M.)lMellon
Constable (p. 487) joins the line from Yarmouth to Lynn. — 50 M. Lynn,
see p. 486.
From Norwich to Thetford and Ely, see p. 486.