492 Route 60. NORWICH.
(15th cent.); the misereres are very quaint. The Central Towee, with
its fine open lantern, is Norman, and rests on four tall circular arches. —
The Transepts resemble the nave in general character, and also have a
fine vaulted ceiling (16th cent.). The N. Transept is adjoined on the E.
by a small apsidal Chapel. In the S. Transept is a monument to Bp. Bath-
urst (d. 1837), by Chantrey. In the vestry adjoining this transept is an
interesting Altar Piece, ascribed to an English painter of the 14th century.
The apsidal ending of the *Choir is as effective from within as from
without, and recalls the churches of the Continent more than any other
church of this size in England. The original ground-plan remains unal¬
tered, but the clerestory has been rebuilt, the vaulting added, and the
main arches changed from Norman to Perpendicular. Behind tbe altar are
tbe remains of the ancient stone episcopal Sedes. The present Throne (1895)
and Pulpit commemorate Bp. Pelham and Dean Goulburn. Among the
monuments are those of Bishop Goldwell (1472-79) and Sir William Boleyn
(d. 1505), grandfather of Anne Boleyn. The stained glass is modern.
A fine view of the interior is obtained from the triforium. The choir-
uisles end, on the E., in apsidal chapels: the Jesus Chapel on the N., and
St. Luke's Chapel on the S. A Lady Chapel, forming the E. termination
of the cathedral, was built at the end of the apse in 1245-57 (E.E.) but
was taken down in the time of Queen Elizabeth. The Beauchamp Chapel,
opening off the S. aisle of the choir, is in the Dec. style. In the N. choir-
aisle is a Gallery, supposed to have been used for exhibiting relics. — From
the S. Transept we pass through the Prior's Door into the spacious 'Clois¬
ters (Dec). In the W. walk are the Monks' Lavatories. The Chapter
House, which stood to the E. of the cloisters, has long since perished.
To the N. of the cathedral stands the Bishop's Palace, dating in great
part from the beginning of the 14th cent., though since extensively altered
and enlarged. — To the N.W., by the Erpingham Gate, is an old chapel,
now used as a Grammar School. In front of the latter is a Statue of Nelson,
who was a pupil here. — Pull's Ferry, a double arch at the end of the
Lower Close, was formerly the water-gate to the cathedral precincts.
Leaving the Cathedral Close by the Erpingham Gate, we cross the
Tombland obliquely to its S. W. corner, and follow Queen St. to the
Castle (PL D, 3), a Norman keep (refaced in 1839), 70 ft. high,
situated on a lofty mound. From 1345 till 1887 the castle was used
as a prison, but it now accommodates the Norfolk Museum (open
daily, 10-4; Tues. & Frid. 3d., other days free), containing fine col¬
lections of birds and fossils. The grounds surrounding it are a public
garden. *View of the town from the top of the keep. — To the W. is
the Market Place, with the Guild Hall (PLC, 3), the Council Cham¬
ber in which retains its fittings of the Tudor period and contains sou¬
venirs of Nelson. In the S.W. corner of the market is *St. Peter
Mancroft (14th cent), with a fine tower (good interior). A mural
tablet commemorates Sir Thomas Browne (1605-82), author of the
'Religio Medici', who is buried here. The Lady Chapel (now a vestry)
contains some good churi-h-plate, two illuminated Bibles, and some
old tapestry. The canopy of the font should be noticed.
A bronzo Statue of Sir Thomas Browne, by H. Pegram, was unveiled
in 1905 in tbe Haymarket to the S. of the cburch. The broken vase in
the hand of the figure refers to his 'Hydriolaphia or Urn-Burial'. A tablet
at the corner of Oxford Place, adjoining, marks the site of Browne's house,
and a casket, in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital (PI. B, C, 5) encloses
what is reputed to be his skull.
St. Andrew's Hall (PL D, 2, 3), in St. Andrew St., originally
the nave of a Dominican church (Perp.), is now used for the 'Nor-