to Norwich. NORWICH. 60. Route. 491
a line diverges to Bungay (King's Head), Beccles (p. 494), and
Lowestoft (p. 494). Beyond (110 M.) Swainsthorpe we catch a
glimpse, to the right, of the Roman camp at Caistor (p. 493). We
now enter the valley of the Yare.
114 M. Norwich. — Hotels. "Maid's Head (PL b; D, 2), Wensum St.,
near thejcathedral, R. 4s., D. 4s. 6d., in a quaint old building of the 15th
cent., comfortably fitted up; "Royal (PL a; D, 3), Castle Hill, R. from 5s.,
D. 5s. — Bell (PL c; D, 4), Orford Hill; Castle (PL d; D, 3), Castle
Meadow. — Rail. Rfmt. Rooms.
Railway Stations. The Victoria (London, Ipswich) and Thorpe (London,
Yarmouth, Cromer, Wells) Stations, on the S. side of the city (PL F, 4), belong
to the G.E.R.; the City Station, to the N. (PL B, 1), is the terminus of the
Eastern Si Midlands Railway (Melton, Constable, Lynn).— Cab into the town Is.
Electric Tramways traverse the principal streets. — Post Office (PI. D,3),
Steamers to Yarmouth, daily in summer, see p. 495.
Norwich, the capital of Norfolk and the see of a bishop, with
(1901) 111,728 inhab., is situated on the Wensum. It contains many
interesting buildings, and possesses large manufactories of mustard
and starch (Colman's ; 2000 hands), iron-works, and breweries.
Norwich is generally supposed to be the Caergwent of the Britons,
and the Roman Venta Jcenorum, though Caistor (p. 493) is a rival claim¬
ant. In 1003 the town was destroyed by the Danes, but it was rebuilt
and furnished with a castle after the Norman Conquest. In 1094 the see
of the bishop of E. Anglia was transferred from Thetford to Norwich. A
fillip to its prosperity was given by the settlement of Flemish weavers here
in the 14th cent., but the woollen industry has now almost deserted it.
The .athedral (PI. E, 2) lies towards the E. side of the city,
1/2 M. to the N. of the Thorpe Station. It was begun in 1096, and has
preserved its original Norman plan more closely than any other
cathedral in England. The Close is entered by St. Ethelbert's Gate
(ca. 1275; upper part modern) or by the Erpingham Gate (1420).
The Cathedral is 407 ft. long, 72 ft. wide, 178 ft. across the tran¬
septs, and 72 (nave) to 83^2 ft. (choir) high. Nave open free;
choir, transepts, and cloisters 11-1 and 2-4.30 (Sat. 2-2.45 and
4-6), 6d.; daily services at 10 a.m. and 5 (Sat. 3) p.m.
The building was begun by the first Bishop of Norwich, Herbert de
Losinga (1091-1119), who completed the choir and transepts and began the
nave (comp. p. xxxix). The latter was finished by his successor (ca. 1140).
The clerestory of the choir was rebuilt in 1356-69; and the vaulting of the
nave and choir were added in the 15th century. In the same century the W.
Front was altered (large Perp. window inserted) and the spire rebuilt.
The cloisters were begun at the end of the 13th cent, and completed in
1430. The most prominent features are the fine Norman "Tower, surmounted
by a lofty Spire (315 ft.), and the apsidal termination of the Choir. The
best genera] view is from the S.E.
Interior. The "Nave (252 ft. long) is Norman throughout, except its
fine lierne-vaulting (15th cent.) and the inserted Perp. windows. The
large open arches of the triforium resemble those of Southwell Minster
(p. 474). Through the small central aperture in the roof a thurible or
censer is supposed to have been let down on certain festivals. The curious
and interesting carved bosses of the ceiling throughout the cathedral de¬
serve attention. Two bays in the S. aisle were converted into a chantry
by Bishop Nykke (1501-36). In the N. aisle is the monument of Sir Thomas
Wyndham. The stained glass is modern. — The two E. hays of the nave,
shut off by the Organ Screen to form tbe Amte-C'hoir, contain the 'Stalls