490 Route 60. IPSWICH. From London
After passing (63 M.) Bentley (junction of a line to Hadleigh) we
come in sight of the estuary of the Orwell.
69 M. Ipswich (White Horse, Tavern St., celebrated in 'Pick¬
wick', R. 4s. Gd., D. 3s. Gd.; Crown <y Anchor; Golden Lion; Water¬
loo; Grand; Temperance; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), the county-town of
Suffolk, with (1901) 66,622 inhab., is situated at the head of the
estuary of the Orwell. Above Ipswich (a corruption of the old
English Gippeswic) the river is named the Gipping. The harbour
(33 acres), entered from the Orwell by a lock 300 ft. in length, is
of growing importance. Tramways traverse the principal streets.
From the station we proceed through Station Road and Princes
Street (tramway 2d.) to Coknhill , an open space in the centre of
the town, with the Town Hall, Com Exchange, and Post Office.
Tavern St. runs hence to the right (E.), and is continued by Carr
St., in which is the Lyceum Theatre. The tramway goes on past
St. Helens Church to the Derby Road Station of the Felixstowe
railway (see below). Parallel to Tavern St., on the S., is the Butter
Market, containing Sparrowe's House (1567), with a pargeted
facade, in which Charles II. is said to have lain concealed after the
battle of Worcester. On the upper floor is the Public Library (in¬
teresting old room). — From the E. end of the Butter Market we
proceed to the right throngh Upper Brook St., and then to the left
through Tacket St. (with the old Theatre in which Garrick made
his debut) and Orwell Place, to Fore Street, containing several
quaint old houses. — Proceeding to the S. W. (right) from Fore
St., through Salthouse and Key St., we reach College St., contain¬
ing Wolsey's Gateway, the only relic of a college built by Card.
Wolsey (1471-1530), who was born at Ipswich.
In Tower St., leading to the N. from Tavern St., is the church
of St. Mary-le-Tower (rebuilt 1860-68), with a graceful spire
176 ft. high. By turning to the right at the end of the street we
reach *St. Margaret's Church (restored). — The Museum, High St.,
contains local antiquities and fossils (adm. free). Adjoining are the
Victoria Free Library and the Art Gallery.
The Upper (free) and Lower (adm. 6d.) Arboretum and Christ's Church
Park (with an interesting Tudor mansion) are three pleasant parks. A
visit may also be paid to the agricultural implement works of Ransomes
d- Jefferies or of E. R. d~ F. Turner.
A branch-line runs from Ipswich to (16 M.) Felixstowe ("Felix; "Bath;
Orwell; Pier, R.3.s.3d., D.4s.; Ordnance), a favourite seaside resort (5805 inhab.)
with golf-links, at the mouth of the Orwell, opposite Harwich. Circuit-
tickets are issued allowing the journey in one direction to be made by water.
From Ipswich to Yarmouth, see R. 61.
81 M. Stowmarket (Fox, R. or D. 2s. Gd.) has manufactories of
gun-cotton and a church with a curious wooden spire. — 83 M.
Haughley Road is the junction of a line to Bury St. Edmunds
(p.497) and Newmarket (p. 497). Beyond (91i/2M.) Mellis (branch-
line to Eye) we cross the Waveney and enter Norfolk. — 95 M. Diss
(King's Head), a small market-town, from (1001/2 M.) Tivetshall