to Norwich. HARWICH. 60. Route. 489
To see the wall we should turn to the right at the cattle-market and
follow it along the W. side, where stands the ruined Balcon, the prin¬
cipal Roman bastion, also called King Cole's Castle, from an association
of Colchester with that hero of nursery rhyme. In this case we may
make our way to the top of the High St. via the lofty Water Tower, which
is the most conspicuous feature in Colchester.
The *Castle, the largest Norman keep in England, erected in
the reign of William II. by Eudo, the king's steward, stands near
the foot of the High St., in a Public Park, opened in 1892.
The castle is open free; but a small gratuity is expected for showing
parts not generally open. The keep measures 168 ft. by 126 ft. Its walls
vary in thickness from 30 ft. to 11 ft. We enter by the S. side, and visit
the Vaults and Dungeons. Fine view from the top of the walls. The
herring-bone work of Roman tiles is striking. The Chapel is fitted up as
a Museum (open 10-6), with Roman antiquities found in or near Colchester.
From the foot of the High St. we follow Queen St. and St.
Botolph St. to the right to reach St. Botolph's Priory, which stands
a little to the left of the latter street, in the enclosure of St. Bo¬
tolph's Church. The ruins are those of the priory church and are
in the Norman style (ca. 1103); as in the castle, Roman bricks
have been freely used. By turning to the right at the end of St.
Botolph's Street we reach St. John's Green, with St. John's Abbey
Gate (ca. 1500), the only relic of a large Benedictine monastery. —
Holy Trinity Church has a pre-Norman tower partly constructed of
Roman bricks and contains a good specimen of the triangular-head¬
ed Saxon arch. — The Military Camp, on the S. side of the town,
is the headquarters of the E. military district.
At Lexden, 2 M. to the W. of Colchester, are remains of Roman en¬
trenchments; 3/t M. farther on is 'King Cole's Kitchen', supposed to have
been the Roman amphitheatre.
From Colchester to Claoton, 19 M , railway in _-l hr. (fares 3s. 6d.,
Is. V/nd.). 5J/2 M. Wyvenhoe is the junction for Brightlingsea (p. 488). —
14'/» M. Thorpe-le-Soken (Rail. Rfmt. Rooms). — 19 M. Clacton-on-Sea (Grand;
Royal; Osborne), a popular watering-place, duly equipped with a pier,
promenade, theatre, and golf-course. About 472 M. to the W. is St. Osyth s
Priory (16th cent.).'— From Thorpe the line goes on to Frinton (Grand,
R. from 5s.), with a golf-course, and (20 M.) Walton on the-Naze (Marine;
Clifton), two watering-places. Clacton and Walton may be reached from
London by steamer.
591/2 M. Hanningtree (White Hart, plain; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms)
is an important junction, at which the boat-trains from London
and the N. of England converge.
From Manningtree to Harwich, IU/iM- railway in 7= hr. The line
skirts the estuary of the Stour. IV2 M. Mistley; 3 M. Bradfield; &/■• M.
Wrabness. — At (j1/; M.) Parkeston Quay (Great Eastern Hotel) Continental
passengers alight to join the G. E. It. steamers for the Hoek of Holland or
Antwerp (comp. p. xx), the General Steam Navigation Go's, boats for Ham¬
burg, or the Danish steamers for Esbjerg. — KP/t M. Dovercourt (*C!ift, R. from
4s.6d., D.from3s.6d.; Alexandra, R. from5s., D.5s.; Phoenix), the S. suburb
of Harwich, with sea-bathing. — ll1^ M. Harwich (Great Eastern, R. 4s , D.
4s. Gd., Pier at the harbour; Three Cups, Royal, R. 3s., D. 2s. 6d., in the town),
a small seaport (10,019 inhab.), with a good harbour, at the confluence of
the Stour and the Orwell. A steamer plies several times daily across the
estuary to Felixstowe (p. 490) and up the Orwell to (1 hr.) Ipswich (p. 490).
Beyond Manningtree we see the estuary of the Stour (right).