466 Route 55. STTJDLEY ROYAL.
The Cathedbal, which does not occupy the same site as the
original monastery (see p. 465), is approached from the market-place
by the Kirk Gate. The transepts and part of the choir are in the Tran¬
sition style (1154-81), the W. Front is E.E. (1215-55), theE. end
of the choir is Dec. (1288-1300) , and the nave and part of the S.
side of the choir and of the Central Tower are Perp. (1460-1520).
The Saxon Crypt is supposed to have belonged to the church built by
St. Wilfrid. The whole church has been restored by Scott. It is one
of the smaller English cathedrals, being only 270 ft. in length ;
but it is 87 wide across the nave and aisles. The daily services are
at 11.15 a.m. and 4.15 p.m. Adm. to the choir and crypt 6d.
The Nave, which has no triforium, is late Perp., except the E.E. bays
opening into the W. Towers. Two of the original arches (E. and S.) be¬
low the central tower have been changed from Norman to Perp., but the
other two are still circular, though the lofty shafting run up at the W.
arch shows that the intention was to change them all. — The Transepts
retain much of the Transition work of Archbishop Roger, the rehuilder
of the church (1185). — The Choir, in which the Transition Norman, the
Dec, and the Perp. portions are readily distinguishable, is separated from
the nave by a good Perp. Screen. The triforium-openings have been glazed,
so that there are three rows of windows at different levels. The Dec. E.
window is fine (modern glass). The beautiful carving on the stalls is of
the 15th century.
To the S. of the choir are the Chapter House and Vestey, which
are believed to have together formed a small Norman church. Below
them is a Norman crypt. Above them is the Lady Loft, a chapel of the
Dec. period, built against the outside wall of the cathedral.
From the N.E. angle of the Nave we descend to the *Crypt, which
is one of the only two Saxon crypts in England, both built in the 7th
cent, by St. Wilfrid (comp. p. 461). A long narrow passage leads to a
small vaulted chamber, with a curious opening or hole called 'St. Wilfrid's
Needle', which was used, it is said, as a test of chastity, the pure only
being able to be drawn through it.
In Stammergate is the interesting Hospital of St. Mary Magda¬
len, founded in the 12th cent, for lepers; in High St. Agnes' St. is
the Maison Dieu, a hospital of the 15th cent.; and in Bondgate is
St. John's Hospital. The Museum (adm. 2d.), in Park St., chiefly
contains objects of natural history.
From Ripon to Fountains Abbey, 3 M. (carr. 3s.; motor - omnibus
from the station to Studley Royal, 6 times daily in 25 min., fare 9d.).
Walkers leave the town by the Westgate, opposite the Unicorn Hotel, and
after a few yards diverge to the left through Park St., passing the Museum.
At the fork (finger-post) we again keep to the left. After about 1 M. we
cross a bridge over the Laver, and take the road most to the right.
About 3 min. farther on, a wicket on the left opens on a field-path, which
cuts off V3 M. and emerges in the middle of Studley Village, where we
turn to the left, soon reaching the outer gates of Studley Royal, the
seat of the Marquis of Ripon. Passing through the gates we ascend the
long avenue, at the end of which is a conspicuous Church, built by the
Marquis of Ripon in 1876. After about s/« M., before reaching the
church, we turn to the left, under the beech-trees (Spanish chestnuts and
other timber also fine), pass a lake, and arrive at the 0/4 M.) gate of the
pleasure-grounds (is.). The grounds, through which runs the Skell, are
elaborately laid out, with trimmed hedges, parterres, ponds, statuary,
and small temples. After passing various 'Views' (guide-posts) we cross
the stream by a rustic bridge, bend back along the Crescent snA Moon
I'onds, and ascend to the Octagon Tower. We then turn to the right and