WHITBY. 54. Route. 463
Church of Bridlington consists of the nave of a fine Augustine priory-
church founded early in the 12th cent. (E.E. to Perp.); fine W. window.
About 6 M. to the N. E. of Bridlington is Flamborough Head (Ship ; Dog <Sc
Duck), a bold promontory, with perpendicular cliffs, 450 ft. high (public
waggonette, there and back, Is.). In summer a coach plies between Scar¬
borough and Bridlington (fares 5s., return 8s.; to Filey 3s. and 5s.). Filey
and Bridlington are also stations on the line from Scarborough to Hull
(p. 468). — Other favourite points are Everley, Haekness, Forge Valley,
Ayton, Wykeham, and Hayburn Wyke, to all of which public conveyances
ply daily in the season (fares Is. 6d.-3s.). A good cliff-walk may also be
taken to (15s/< M.) Robin Hood's Bay and (21 M.) Whitby (comp. below).
From Scarborough to Whitby and Saltborn, 471/2 M., N.E. Railway
in 2'/2-3 hrs. (fares 6s. Id., 3s. 9V2d.). The liner skirts the coast, affording
views of the sea to the right. 7 M. Hayburn Wyke, a favourite point for
excursions from Scarborough; 10 M. Ravenscar (Raven Hall Hotel, R. from
5s., D. 3s. 6d.), a new health resort, 600 ft. above the sea. — A little
farther on we obtain a fine view of 'Robin Hood's Bay, with its lofty
cliffs, far below us to the right. — 15'/4 M. Robin Hood's Bay (Robin Hood's
Bay Hotel; Dolphin, pens. 6s). — 22 M. Whitby (West Cliff Station), see
below. — 25 M. Sandsend (Sandsend Hotel, R. from 4s. 6d., D. 5s.); 32 M.
Hinderwell, station for Runswick Bay (Runswick Bay Hotel); 34 M. Slaithes
(Station Hotel), a quaint fishing-village. — 47'/2 M. Saltburn (Zetland;
Alexandra; Victoria; Gilberton's Temperance), a fashionable seaside-resort,
with golf-links. —From Saltburn a line runs via (5 M.) Redcar (Coatham;
Red Lion; Swan), also a seaside-resort, to Middlesbrough (p. 449) and
Stockton (p. 449); and a short branch runs to (8 M.) Guisborough, with
the remains of a Priory, founded in 1119.
Beyond Malton (p. 461) the picturesque Whitby line runs to
the N.E. — 33 M. Pickering (Black Swan; George) is the junction
of lines to Helmsley and Gilling (p. 448) on the W. and to Seamer
Junction (p. 461), on the E. The old Church ofSS. Peter and Paul
contains a remarkable series of * Wall-Paintings (c. 1450), discovered
in 1851 and restored in 1889. These consist of scenes from legends
of the saints and the lives of Christ and the Virgin Mary, the Seven
Works of Charity, etc. The Castle is open free daily. — 38 M.
Levisham; il1/^ M. Goathland; 4972 M. Grosmont (to Picton, see
p. 449); 5472 M. Ruswarp. — 56 M. Whitby (Town Station).
Whitby. — Hotels. *Rotal, West Cliff, with sea-view, R. 4s. 6d.,
D. 5s.; Metropole, West Cliff, R. 6s. 6d., D. 5s.; White House Hotel,
adjoining golf-club-house; Crown, Flowergate; Angel, near the Town
Station, commercial; Railway Station Hotel, commercial; Clarence;
Jobling's Temperance, opposite the station, unpretending.
Railway Stations. Town Station, Victoria Square, the principal ter¬
minus. West Cliff Station, 1 M. to the N.W., for Scarborough and Saltburn.
Cab with one horse Is. per mile, with two horses Is. 6d.; for the first
'/» hr. Is., each addit. l/< hr. 6d., with two horses Is. 6d. and 9d.
Golf Course (9 holes), at Upgang, 1/t M. from the West Cliff Station.
Whitby, a small town and watering-place (11,748 inhab.), is
situated on both banks of the Esk, the valley of which is here bordered
by lofty cliffs. As seen from either the E. or W. cliff, the town looks
very picturesque, with its crowd of red-tiled houses, clustering on
both sides of the river and climbing the sides of the cliff.
Whitby originated in a priory founded here by St. Hilda in the 7th
cent., and its development was aided in Elizabethan days by the dis¬
covery of alum-mines in the neighbourhood. Ship - building was also
carried on here with great success for a time, and Capt. Cook (1728-79),