HEXHAM. 53. .Route. 461
3972 M. Hexham (Royal, well spoken of; Grey Bull; Tynedale
Hydropathic, from 7s. Gd. per day), an ancient town with 7071 in¬
hab. , and the see of a R. C. bishop, on the S. bank of the Tyne, has
a fine *Abbey Church (12th cent.), an excellent example of E.E.
Tbe first church on this site was built by 5(. Wilfrid in 676, and
from 680 to 821 Hexham was the seat of a bishopric, afterwards united
with Lindisfarne, and now included in the see of Durham (comp. p. 452).
The nave of the present church was destroyed at the end of the 13th
cent., and the Saxon "Crypt of St. Wilfrid has been discovered below its
site. The "Choir is separated from the Transept by a carved Rood Screen
of about 1500. The Shrine of Prior Richard and other monuments deserve
attention. — The Refectory and a Norman Gateway are also preserved.
In 1464 the Yorkists defeated the Lancastrians in an important battle
2J/2 M. to the S.E. of Hexham. — Branch-lines run from Hexham to Allen¬
dale on the S. and to Chollerford (p. 460) and Reedsmouth (Riccarton,
Morpeth; p. 458) on the N. — Hexham offers convenient headquarters for
visiting the Roman Wall (p. 460).
Near (4272 M.) Corbridge are the ruins of Dilston Castle and the
Roman camp of Corchester or Corstopitum. The train now follows
the course of the Tyne. To the left, at (50 M.) Prudhoe, are the
ivy-clad ruins of its castle. At (52 M.) Wylam George Stephen¬
son (p. 458) was born in 1781, and here the first working locomotive
was constructed by William Hedley in 1812. 6772 M. Scotswood,
so named from the camp of the Scottish army in the Civi War.
6072 M. Newcastle, see p. 456.
54. From York to Scarborough and Whitby.
North Eastern Railway to (42 M.) Scarborough in l-ls/«hr. (fares 5s.
7d., 3s. 6d.); to (56 M.) Whitby via Pickering in l»/4-2*/« hrs. (7<- Gd., is. 8d.).
Whitby may also be reached via Scarborough.
York, see p. 445. Near (15 M.) Kirkham Abbey, with its ivy-
clad ruins, we reach the pretty, well-wooded valley of the Der¬
went. — About 372 M. to the N.W. of (16 M.) Castle Howard (Ho¬
tel, 3/i M. from the park) is Castle Howard, the seat of the Earl
of Carlisle, containing a beautiful chapel and a fine collection of
paintings (Velazquez, Titian, Rubens, Carracci, Reynolds, Clouet),
sculptures, bronzes, tapestry, and old glass and china. The house
and *Park are open daily (11-1 & 2-5).
21 M. Malton (Talbot; George; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), an ancient
town of 4758 inhab., with large racing-stables and an old priory-
church, is the junction where the Scarborough and Whitby lines
separate. Other lines run N. to (24 M.) Pilmoor Junction (p. 448),
and S. to (20 M.) Driffield (p. 467). — The Scarborough line pro¬
ceeds to the right, passing several small stations. — 3472 M. Ganton,
with a golf-course. — 39 M. Seamer Junction, for Filey (p. 462).
42 M. Scarborough. — Hotels. On St. Nicholas Cliff: Grano (PI. a;
B, 3), with 300 beds. — On the South Cliff: Prince of Wales (PI. b;
B, 5), R. 5s. 6d., B. or L. 3s., D. 5s. 6d.; Crown (PI. c; B, 4), Esplanade;
Cambridge (PL d; B, 5), near the Valley Bridge, at some distance from
the sea. — On the North Cliff (less expensive): Queen (PL e; B, 1),
Clarence Gardens (PL f; A, 1), pens. 7s.-10s. 6d.; Albion (PL t; C, 2).
— In the Town: "Pavilion (PL g A, B, 3), adjoining the station, R.