BERWICK-UPON-TWEED. 52. Route. 459
The largest of these islands was St. Cuthbert's home for nine years.
The Long Stone Lighthouse, on the easternmost isle, was the scene of Grace
Darling's heroism in 1838. — On the mainland, opposite the Fame Isles
(lVs M. from Sea Houses), is Bamburgh (Victoria; Crewe Arms). Bamburgh
Castle, on the site of a Saxon stronghold, which perhaps replaced a Roman
station, now belongs to Lord Armstrong. Lancelot's castle of Joyous Gard
is usually identified with Bamburgh or Alnwick. Bamburgh churchyard
contains a memorial of Grace Darling.
323 M. Lucker; 325 M. Belford, the most convenient main-line
station for Ohillingham and Bamburgh (but see p. 458). — 330 M.
Beat is the station for Lindisfarne, or Holy Island (Inns), which is
172 M. from the mainland by boat at high-water, and may also be
reached by land at low water (372 M.). Driving (trap ordered be¬
forehand from the postmaster at Holy Island, 8s. there and back) is
preferable to crossing the wet sands on foot.
Lindisfarne Abbey was originally founded in the 7th cent, by St.
Aidan. St. Cuthbert afterwards became Bishop of Lindisfarne and died
here in 687. In 883 the monks of Lindisfarne left the island, through
fear of the Danes, taking with them the relics of the saint, which found
a final resting-place at Durham (comp. pp. 452, 455). Visitors will re¬
member the description of Lindisfarne in 'Marmion' and the fate of the
nun Constance. The ruins belong to the Priory Church, which was erected
towards the close of the 11th cent., on the site of the ancient church and in
imitation ot Durham Cathedral. The small Castle dates from about 1500.
33372 M. Scremerston; 335 M. Tweedmouth Junction (Union
Hotel), on the S. bank of the Tweed. The train then crosses the
Tweed by a fine viaduct, 720 yds. long and 126 ft. above the water.
33572 M. Berwick-upon-Tweed (King's Arms, R. 4s., D. 3s. Gd.,
omn. Is., very fair; Red Lion, R. 3s. Gd., D. from 2s. 6d.; Avenue
Temperance, R. or D. 2s.; Rail. Refreshmt. Rooms), an old town with
13,437 inhab., at the mouth of the Tweed, was for ages a constant
object of contention between England and Scotland, while it is still
regarded as a neutral county , belonging officially to neither of
these countries. Parts of the old walls, with a tower and gateways,
The suburb of Spitlal (Roxburgh) is frequented for sea-bathing. —
The Tweed, like the Tyne (p. 457), is famous for its salmon, and about
150 tons of this fish are annually sent off to London and elsewhere.
From Berwick to Edinburgh, see R. 64 b. — Branch-lines also run from
Berwick to Jedburgh (p. 504), Kelso (p. 504), and Melrose (p. 505).
53. From Carlisle to Newcastle.
6OV2M. Railway in lV2-2V2hrs. (fares 8s. Id., 5s.; return 16s. 2d., 8s. 6d.l.
Carlisle, see p. 408. — 372 M- Wetheral, in the valley of the
Eden, with a ruined priory. Opposite (bridge 72^-; ferry Id.) is
Corby Hall, a modernized baronial mansion, containing a fine art-
collection. The beautiful walks in Corby Woods, praised by David
Hume, are open to visitors on Wed. (6d.). — 11 M. Brampton
(Lanercost Temperance Hotel, pens. 4s. Gd.). — I272 M. Naworth
•Naworth Castle, the fine baronial residence of the Howards (Earl of
Carlisle), about '/j M. to the N., is most intimately associated with 'Belted