414 Route 49. WINDERMERE. The Lake
with a small observatory. Here Scott, Wordsworth, Southey, Canning, and
Wilson witnessed a regatta held in honour of the first-named in 1825. Be¬
yond Ramp Holme the steamer makes its next halt at the "Ferry Hotel,
situated on a small promontory jutting out from the W. bank (ferry, see
below). It then steers across the lake towards Bowness, skirting the
well-wooded Belle Isle, the largest island in the lake (V2M. long; landing
forbidden). Bowness, see p. 412.
On leaving Bowness tbe steamer threads its way among several
islets to the N. of Belle Isle and enters upon the most picturesque part
of the voyage. The fine amphitheatre of mountains at tbe head of the
lake becomes more and more distinct. Due N. is Fairfield; to the right of
it, Red Screes, High Street, Froswick, and 111 Bell; to the left, the con¬
spicuous Langdale Pikes. To the W. rise Wetherlam and the Coniston
Old Man (comp. p. 415). To the right opens the glen of the Troutbeck, which
flows into the lake through the woods of Calgarth. Scafell Pike and
Bowfell now come into sight on the N.W. On the shore to the left, a
little farther on, is Wray Castle, a modern castellated mansion, rising
above the trees. Tbe steamer then stops on the E. side of the lake at
the "Low Wood Hotel, a large establishment close to the shore. High up on
the same side is Dove Nest, once the temporary home of Mrs. Hemans.
At the head of the lake open out the valleys of the Brathay (to the left)
and the Rothay, which unite their waters just before entering the lake.
To the left is Pull Wyke Bay. We then reach the pier of Waierhead
(Waterhead Hotel, R. 3s. Gd., D. from 3s. 60!.; County Temperance Hotel,
with restaurant, at the pier), the station at the N. end of tbe lake. Omni¬
buses for (3/iM.) Ambleside (p. 418; 3d.) and (5 M.) Grasmere (p. 420; Is.)
meet the steamers, which run in connection with the coaches.
From Bowness to Esthwaite Water, Hawkshead, and Co¬
niston, 10 M. (coach, see p. 412). The road leads to the S. from
Bowness to the (1 M.) Nab Ferry, which walkers may reach by a
shorter footpath (3/4 M.) to the right. The lake here is only 1/3 M.
wide, and the ferry-boat plies at short intervals during the day (fare
2d.; carr. ls.-3s. 6d.). On the other side is the Ferry Hotel (p. 412).
From the Ferry Hotel the road ascends, skirting the Claife
Heights, to (iy4 M.) Far Sawrey (inn) and ('/2 M.) Near Sawrey,
and then descends to the right to (V2 M.) Esthwaite Water (217 ft.),
a small lake, l3/4 M. long and 1/3 M. broad. Our road skirts the E.
side of the lake and then turns to the left.
l'/4 M. Hawkshead (Red Lion), a quaint and very irregular little
town, with the grammar-school at which Wordsworth was educated.
His name is cut on one of the oaken benches. The school was
founded in 1585 by Abp. Sandys, a native of Hawkshead. The
church and Hawkshead Hall (l/3 M. to the N.) are both interesting.
The road leading straight on (to the N.) from Hawkshead runs
to Ambleside. Our road turns to the left and ascends to (11/2 M.)
High Cross (600 ft.), the culminating point of the route , where it
joins the road from Ambleside to Coniston (see p. 419). We now
descend, facing the Old Man and Wetherlam, with the Yewdale
Grays in front of them, and enjoying fine glimpses of Coniston
Lake to the left, to (2 M.) the head of the lake, whence the road
leads past the Waterhead Hotel to (1 M.) the village of Coniston.
Coniston (* Waterhead Hotel, '/2 M. from the village, near the
pier, R. from 4s., I). 4-5s.; Crown, R. or D. 3s. Gd.; Lodgings), the