BOWNESS. 49. Route. 413
Bowness (135 ft. above the sea; accent on first syllable), with
(1901) 2682 inhab., the principal port of Windermere, is beautifully
situated in a small bay on the E. side of the lake. The old Church
of St. Martin, the parish-church of Windermere, has lately been
restored and contains a good stained-glass window, with fragments
brought from Cartmel Priory (p. 410; oldest parts from about 1260).
Bowness affords admirable headquarters for exploring the S. part
of the Lake District. The Royal Windermere Yacht Club, which
has its seat here, holds regattas twice a week in July.
''Orrest Head (784 ft.), commanding an extensive view of the lake,
is ascended from Windermere in about 20 minutes. On issuing from
the station we bear to the left by the main road and beyond a foun¬
tain pass through the second of two gates on the right (a wooden one),
adjoining the approach to Rigg's Windermere Hotel, and then ascend
through the varied woods of Elleray by a path indicated by guide-posts.
The ""View comprises the entire S. half of the Lake District, the chief
feature being, of course, the beautiful winding Windermere itself, with
its clusters of islets and encircling mountains. The most prominent
summits are the Langdale Pikes, rising to the N.W., near the head
of Windermere. To the right of these is a wooded knoll called Lough-
rigg Fell, with Helm Crag rising behind, while still farther to the
right are Fairfield, Wansfell Pike (with the village ot Troutbeck),
the conspicuous Red Screes, the ridge of High Street, and the fine cone
of 111 Bell. To the E. is a long series of featureless hills extending to
Inglehorough in Yorkshire, on the S.E. To the left (W.) of the Langdale
Pikes rise the fine peak of Bow Fell, Scafell Pikes (in the distance), Pike
o'Blisco and the three Crinkle Crags (in front), the rounded Wetherlam,
and the Coniston Old Man, closing the mountain-screen in this direction.
To the S. the view extends to Morecambe Bay. In descending we may
keep more to the right and pass the cottage of Elleray, the former re¬
sidence of Christopher North, shaded by the splendid sycamore of which
he declared it were easier to suppose two Shakespeares than such another
tree. Below it we reach the Ambleside road, where we may either turn
to the left for ('/3 M.) Windermere, or to the right and then to the left (at
the cross-roads) for (l'/« M.) Bowness. — 'Biscay How (300 ft.) rises im¬
mediately behind Bowness, and the way to the top C/4 hr.) is obvious.
The view is similar to that from Orrest Head; but less extensive. — Other
good points of view are "Miller Brow (250 ft), I1/2 M. to the N. of Bowness,
on the road to Ambleside, just on this side of the above-mentioned cross¬
roads, and "Brant Fell (500 ft.), »/t M. to the S.E. The road to the latter
ascends by the church and to the left of the Crown Hotel.
Windermere, or Winandermere (the 'winding lake', or, per¬
haps , 'Windar's lake'), is the largest lake in England, being
IOV2 M. in length and Y3-I M. broad. It lies 134 ft. above the sea-
level, and its greatest depth is 219 ft. Its banks are beautifully
wooded and enlivened with numerous villas. The N. end of Win¬
dermere is enclosed by an amphitheatre of lofty mountains. At
the S. end of the lake, 6 M. from Bowness (reached by crossing
the Ferry, 3/4 M. below Bowness, and following the shady road on
the W. bank), lies Lake Side (Lake Side Hotel; Railway Refreshmt.
Rooms), the terminus of the railway from Carnforth (see p. 410).
Steamer on Windermere (see p. 412). Leaving Lake Side, the steamboat
steers to the N., up the middle of the lake, which is here not wider than
a river of moderate size. The banks are well wooded. To the right
is Gummer's How (1054 ft.). We pass a few islets, and then the promont¬
ory called Rawlinson Nab (left), and call at 'Storr's Hall Hotel (right),