Forest. WORKSOP. 46. Route. 403
Mansfield Woodhouse is the junction of the line for Hardwick,
Bolsover, etc. (p. 402). Beyond (4 M.) Shirebrook we cross the
Lancashire, Derbyshire, and East Coast Railway (see p. 405). —
6 M. Langiuith. Bolsover Castle (p. 402) lies about 3 M. to the
left (W.). — 9 M. MmtonSf Cresswell is a convenient starting-point
for those who visit Welbeck Abbey on foot.
About l/t M. from the station we turn to the left (guide-post pointing
to Worksop) and follow the road passing between the picturesque "Cress-
well Crags, 30-80 ft. high and honeycombed with caves. To the right lies
a fish-pond. After l/2 M. more we reach one of the gates and lodges of
Welbeck Abbey (right) and follow the avenue, finally passing through a
short tunnel, to (1 M.) the Estate Offices. In the tunnel we keep to the
right at the fork, and on emerging from it we ascend the flight of steps
to the right to the ticket-office (see p. 404). The walk may be continued
to (3'/2 M.) Worksop (see below), by passing through a longer branch of
the tunnel (l1/-! M.) and following the avenue and road via Castle Farm (see
Map). — The path diverging to the left shortly before we reach the farm,
and passing near Worksop Manor (p. 403), is a short-cut (comp. Map).
The train passes through a rocky cutting and a tunnel. 101/-2 M.
Whitwell. — A little farther on we reach the main Sheffield and
Worksop line, direct trains for the former running to the left, while
we turn to the right.
15 M. Worksop. — The Railway Station lies about 1 M. from the
centre of the town.
Hotels. Lion, Bridge St., R. from 3s. 6d., D. from 3s.; Rotal, Bridge St.,
R. 4s., D. from 3s.; Station, R. or D. 2s. 6d.; Greyhound, Park St., R.
or D. 2s. 6d., these two unpretending.
Worksop, an agricultural town with (1901) 16,112 inhab. and
manufactures of malt, lies just to the N. of the Dukeries and in
summer is overrun with crowds of excursionists from Sheffield and
other large towns. On the N. side of the town (fully 1/2 M. from the
station) stands the interesting *Priory Church (sexton, Wm. Colton,
Abbey St.), a Norman edifice with Perp. alterations, originally the
nave of a larger edifice founded in 1103. Its chief features include
the towers, the fine Norman door between them, and two smaller Nor¬
man doors on the N. side. It is adjoined by the ruins of the cloisters
and the Lady Chapel (E. E.). A little to the S. is the Abbey Gatehouse
(Dec), within an enclosure also containing an old Market Cross. —
To the W. of the town lies Worksop Manor, the grounds of which
are entered by the lodge-gates in Park St. It formerly belonged to
the Dukes of Norfolk and Newcastle and now to Sir John Robinson.
The original building, completed by Bess of Hardwick (p. 402), was
burned down in 1761; and the present house is a mere fragment of
that erected as its successor. The park has fine trees and walks.
Sleetley, 3 M. to the W. of Worksop, has an interesting Norman church
(ca. 1160), restored by J. L. Pearson.
From Worksop to Retford, see p. 444.
About 3i/2 M. to the S.W. of Worksop lies *Welbeck Abbey, the
princely seat of the Duke of Portland, dating mainly from the 17th
cent, but incorporating some remains of the ancient abbey founded