Owens College. MANCHESTER. 42. Route. 355
It contains a collection of pictures and casts of the Elgin Marbles in
the British Museum. Annual exhibitions of art are held here. — Imme¬
diately to the N. is the Athenaeum (PL F, 4), a kind of club for young
business-men (quarterly subscription 6s. 6d.), with a good library.
If we turn to the right on reaching Mosley St. from Albert
Square (see p. 354), we soon reach St. Peter's Church (PL F, 6),
containing an altar-piece after Carracci. At the corner of Peter
Street, running hence to the W., stands the large Midland Hotel
(p. 350), to the S. of which is the extensive Central Station (PL E, 6;
p. 350). In Peter St. is the *Free Trade Hall (PL E, 4, 5), in the
Italian palatial style, by Walters, erected in 1856 on the site of the
earlier edifice of the Anti-Corn-Law League (comp. p. 352). The
hall is 130 ft. long, 80 ft. wide, and 53 ft. high, and can accommo¬
date 6000 persons.
The ground on which the original Free Trade Hall was erected was
the property of Mr. Cobden, and was placed by him at the disposal of
the League. On Aug. 16th, 1819, it was the scene of the 'Massacre of
Peterloo', the name given in Manchester to a collision between the cavalry
and yeomanry and tbe Manchester Reformers, when several lives were lost.
From Mosley St., opposite Peter St., diverges Oxford Street
(PL F, 6, 6), a long street leading S.E. to the suburban districts of
Rusholme, Fallowfield, Cheadle, etc. — It contains the Oxford Road
Station (PL F, 6; p. 350), All Saints' Church (PL F, 6), the School
of Art, the Owens College (17* M. from the Town Hall), the Eye
Hospital, and the Rom. Cath. Church of the Holy Name, with an
elaborate interior. — The *Owens College, now the Victoria Uni¬
versity of Manchester, was founded in 1845 by John Owens, who
left 100,000i. for the purpose. In 1873 it was transferred to the
present handsome Gothic edifice (by Waterhouse) which was ex¬
tended in 1886-87.
The college was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1874, and in
1880 it was constituted one of the colleges of Victoria University, the others
being at Liverpool and Leeds. These, however, were chartered as in¬
dependent universities in 1903. The Owens College is now attended by
about 1200 students, taught by about 80 professors and lecturers, and in¬
cludes a medical school and faculties of arts, law, and science. It possesses
well - furnished Laboratories, the handsome Christie Library (well stocked
with books), and a Collection of Natural History. Mr. Stanley Jevons (d. 1882)
and Sir Henry Roscoe were professors at the Owens College.
WmTwoaTH Stkeet(P1. G-D, 5, 6) is a spacious new thorough¬
fare extending from London Road Station (p. 350) to Knott Mill
Station (p. 354). It is flanked mainly by large warehouses, but also
contains a Board School, the handsome Technical School (PI. G, 5),
and St. Mary's Hospital (PL F, 5).
The Manchester Art Museum, in Ancoals (to the E. of PL H, 4),
opened in 1886, may be called the Bethnal Green Museum of Manchester
(open free, week-days and Sundays). The objects exhibited are furnished
with explanatory labels. Concerts, lectures, and classes are also held here
for the people of the district.
Salford (p. 351), or Manchester on the right bank of the Irwell,
contains little to interest the stranger. The Roman Catholic Cathe¬
dral (PI. C, 3), a good building by Pugin the Elder, with a spire