42. From Liverpool to Manchester.
a. From Liverpool to Manchester via Newton-le-Willows.
3l>/2 M. L.N.W. Railway in 3/4-l'/2 hr. (fares 5s. 6d., 2s. 9d., 2s. 6d.;
returned., 5s., 4s. 6d.). This line, constructed in 1830 at a cost of 1,000,000*.,
is one of the oldest of existing railways. The crucial part of the under¬
taking was the filling up of Chat Moss, a huge and dangerous swamp,
12 sq.M. in extent and in places 30 ft. deep. The manufacturing district
traversed is uninteresting.
After leaving Lime St. Station (p. 340) the train stops at
(l1/* M.) Edgehill, near the Botanic Gardens (p. 346). — From
(5'/> M.) Iluyton the Scottish express route diverges to the left via
St. Helen's and Wigan. From (12 M.) St. Helen's Junction a branch-
line leads N. to St. Helen's (Raven; Fleece; American Consular
Agent, John Uammill), a town with (1901) 84,410 inhab., noted for
its plate-glass, and thence toRainford (p. 350) andOrmskirk(p.348),
while another runs S. to Widnes (chemical works) and Runcorn
(p. 364). — 147-2 M. Earlestown, with the large waggon-works of
the railway, is the junction of a line to Warrington (see below) and
Chester (p. 284). — At (151/-) M.) Newton-le-Willows we cross the
main line of the L.N.W. Railway from London to Carlisle and the
North. At (16 M.) Polrush Junction Mr. Huskisson (p. 344) was killed
at the opening of the railway. — I872 M. Kenyon is the junction of a
lino to Bolton (p. 366). Beyond (21 M.) Glazebury <J- Bury Lane the
train crosses Chat Moss (see above). At (26 7s M.) Patricroft is the Iron
Foundry established by James Nasmyth, one of the largest in Eng¬
land.— 27'/2 M. Eccles (Cross Keys), prettily situated on the Irwetl.
317a M. Manchester (Exchange Station), see p. 350.
b. From Liverpool to Manchester via Warrington and Glazebrook.
34 M. 'Cheshire Lines' Railway in 3/4-l'/2 hr. (fares bs.Gd., 2s. 6d.;
return 8s., 4s. 6d.). As far as (24 M.) Glazebrook (see p. 350) this line coin¬
cides with the main Liverpool and London line of the Midland Railwav
(see R. 44b).
We start from the Central Station in Ranelagh Street (p. 340).
The train then stops at (1 M.) St. James's and(2V2 M.) St. Michael's,
crosses Toxteth Park (p. 346), and reaches (372 M.) Otterspool. To
the right a view is enjoyed of the Mersey. 6lJ2^i- Garston (p. 363);
1274 M. Farnworth, the junction of a loop-line to Widnes.
I874 M. Warrington (Patten Arms, R. or D. 3s.; Lion, pens.
8s. Gd.; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), a busy town on the right bank of the
Mersey, with (1901) 64,241 inhab. and manufactories of cotton, wire,
iron, and glass. It is a place of considerable antiquity, and is believed
to have been a Roman station. The Parish Church, a fine building
in the Dec. style, has been restored. — From Warrington railways
radiate to Wigan (p. 406), Bolton (p. 356), Chester (p. 284), etc.
Beyond Warrington the line runs nearly parallel with the
celebrated Brldgewatee. Canal (35 M. long), one of the oldest
in England, connecting Manchester and Liverpool.