346 Route 41. LIVERPOOL. Landing Stage.
The main part of the Victoria Buildings (1892) of the university lie to the
right, in Brownlow Hill, and consist of the Arts section, the Victoria Jubilee
Tower, the library, and the engineering laboratories. The chemical
laboratories (abutting on Brownlow St.; PL E, 5) are excellently fitted up.
To the W. is the Medical School.
We next enter Mount Pleasant (PI. E, 5). On the rigbt we
pass the large Workhouse (PL E, 5; with room for 4000 inmates)
and on the left the Medical Institution, the Convent of Notre Dame,
and the Young Men's Christian Association. The Roman Catholic
Church of St. Patrick, Park Place, contains a large and fine altar-
piece ('Crucifixion') by Nicaise de Keyser.
The Botanic Gardens are in Wavertree Park, 1/2 M. to the E. — To the
N. extends the district of Everton, formerly a suburban village. It is
largely inhabited by Welsh people. 'Everton Toffee' may still be purchased
at one of the cottages near Everton Brow, where it was originally made.
To the N. E. of the city lies Stanley Park (reached by tramway, p. 3'fl),
laid out by the Corporation at a cost of 150,000/., and commanding fine
views of the Welsh and the Cumbrian Mts. The Gladstone Conservatory here
was erected in 1899 by Mr. Henry Yates Thompson. — To the E. is Newsham
Park, with the Carnegie Library and the Seam-en's Orphanage. Adjacent is
the large Cattle Market. — The Ancient Chapel of Toxleth Park, on the S. side
of the town, was the scene of the ministrations of Richard .Mather, father
of Increase Mather, and grandfather of Cotton Mather, of Massachusetts.
The most characteristic and interesting of the sights of Liver¬
pool, however, consists in its *Docks, which flank the Mersey for
a distance of 6-7 M. There are now in all 60 docks and basins, with
a total water-area of 388 acres and 26 M. of quays. On the site of
the old George's Dock, near the centre of the whole row of docks,
rise the now *Dock Board Offices (PI. A, 4), to be completed in 1907.
The docks of Birkenhead (see p. 340) are under the same manage¬
ment (Mersey Docks and Harbour Board), and are reckoned as belonging
to the harbour of Liverpool. The amount of rates and dues on ships and
goods received in the year ending July 1st, 1905, was 1,344,560/., paid
in respect of 26,065 vessels, representing a registered tonnage (inward and
outward) of 31,992,774 tons. The total revenue of the Board is, however,
about 1,700,000/. per annum. — Overhead Electric Railway skirting the
Docks, see p. 341.
To the N.E. of the new Dock Board Office is the principal
"'Landing Stage (PI. A, 3; Rfmt. Rooms) for steamers, consisting
of a huge floating quay, 2463 ft. long, supported on about 200 iron
pontoons and connected with the shore by eight bridges. Sea-going
steamers start from theN. end of this quay, known as Prince's, while
the river ferry-boats ply from George's, or the S. end. The open
space opposite the principal approach is known as the Pier. Head
(PL A, 3), and is a busy terminus of numerous electric tramways.
Cabin-passengers by the Transatlantic steamers generally land at the
N. end of the Landing Stage. They may proceed to London, etc., direct
from the Riverside Station (p. 340; corridor trains, with dining cars, etc.).
Their baggage is conveyed by machinery to a Customs Examining Hall on
shore, whence it is transferred to the train, cab, or omnibus. Agents of
the principal railway companies meet the steamers, and baggage may be
'checked' to any station on their systems at a charge of 2s. per package.
Comp. p. 341 and p. xix.
The following are the principal docks, named from N. to S. The
Hornby Dock was opened in 1884. Next to it is the Alexandra Dock, the