282 Route 39. WHITCHURCH.
other times on Mon., Wed., & Frid., 3-5). At the N. end of the
bay is Alexandra Hall, a hostel for women students belonging to the
Pen Glais or Constitution Hill (450 ft.; cliff-railway), to the N. of the
town, is a good point of view. — Walks may be taken to (1 M.) Pen
Dinas (400 ft.), with a column in memory of the Duke of Wellington; to
(2]/4 M.) Allt-Wen and (5M.) Twll Twrw, or the Monk's Cave, both on the
coast to the S.; to Llanbadarn-Fawr, with its fine church, 1 M. inland;
and to Nant Eos (permission necessary), 4 M. to the S.E. A railway-excursion
may also be made to Strata Florida (p. 218).
From Aberystwyth to the Devil's Bridge, 12 M., narrow-gauge rail¬
way in 60-68 min., ascending the wooded valley of the Rheidol. No one
should miss this excursion; the return may be made on foot via, Hafod
to Trawscoed (see below). — The s'Pont-y-Mynach, or Devil's Bridge (Devil's
Bridge Hotel, R. 3s.; cold luncheon, including admission to the Falls,
2s. 6d.), is a small bridge constructed by the monks of Strata Florida in
the 11th or 12th cent, over the deep gorge of the Mynach, at its junction
with the Rheidol. Both rivers form beautiful waterfalls near the junction.
The old bridge is now surmounted by another added in 1753, hut is well
seen from below. Most of the best view-points are within the grounds
(adm. Is.) of the hotel. Walkers should visit the "Parson's Bridge, which
spans the Rheidol gorge IV2 M. farther up (to the N.) just below the church
of Yspytty Cynfyn. About IV2M. farther on is Pont Erwyd (inn), in front
of which the river flows through a rocky 'gut', forming falls of some size
after rain. — About 4 M. to the S.E. of the Devil's Bridge is Hafod, a
large mansion in a well-wooded park. Near it is the church of Eglwys-
Newydd, containing a fine monument by Chantrey. From Hafod we may
descend the valley of the Ystwyth, passing Pont Rhyd-y- Groes (Bear), to
(7V2 M.) Trawscoed, whence we may return to Aberystwyth by train. —
Strata Florida (p. 218) is 6 M. to the S. of Hafod.
A mail-cart runs daily from Aberystwyth to (16 M.) Aberayron (p. 218).
From Aberystwyth to Carnarvon, comp. RR. 40b and 40c.
39. From Shrewsbury to Chester.
a. Vict Whitchurch.
43 M. L. N. W. Railway in 1V«-2V« hrs. (fares 6s. 6d., 4s. 4d., 3s. 2i/2d.).
The first stations are Hadnall, Yorton, and (12 M.) Wem. At
Weston-under-Redcastle, 4 M. to the E. of Wem is Hawkstone Hotel
(R. from 4s. Gd., D. 4s. Gd.). — 2172 M. Whitchurch (Victoria;
Swan; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), a town with 5219 inhab., is the junc¬
tion of the Cambrian Railways to Ellesmere, Whittington, and Os¬
westry (p. 278) and of the L. N. W. line to Crewe (p. 365). The
church contains the monument of Talbot, first Earl of Shrewsbury,
killed at Bordeaux in 1453. About 4 M. to the N.E. is Combermere
Abbey, the seat of Viscount Combermere, with a fine park (open to
visitors) and a large lake or mere, the pike-fishing in which is
famous. — The following stations are unimportant. —43 M. Chester,
see p. 284.
b. Vid Ruabon.
42 M. G. W. Railway in 1-2 hrs. (fares 6s. 6d., 4«., 3s. 2'/2d.). This
line, skirting the eastern margin of North Wales, is more attractive than
the one above described, especially in tbe Dee valley.