278 Route 38. WELSHPOOL.
E.E. work, inclining to Decorated. The road to Acton Burnell passes (5 M.)
Pitchford Hall, a quaint half-timbered mansion of the 15th century. —
Excursions may also be made to Condover Hall, Buildwas Abbey (p. 196), the
Wrekin (10 M.; p. 275), Stokesay Castle (p. 189), etc.
From Shrewsbury to Hereford, see p. 188; to Worcester, see p. 196;
to Chester, see R. 39. — Shrewsbury is a convenient starting-point for a
visit to Central Wales, see R. 38.
38. From Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth. Central Wales.
81 M. Cambrian Railways in 3-4 hrs. (fares lis. 6d., 7s. 8d., 6s. 9'/2d.).
This line crosses the centre of Wales, and has direct connection from
various points with the Southern "Welsh places described in RR. 25-30 and
the Northern Welsh places of R. 40.
On leaving Shrewsbury the train crosses the Severn and runs
almost due west. From (5 M.) Hanwood a branch-line diverges on
the left to Minsterley, with lead-mines. Near (15 M.) Middletown
wo skirt the base of the Breidden Hills (to the right; see below).
At (17 M.) Buttingion Junction we join the main Cambrian line.
20 M. Welshpool (Royal Oak; Bull; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), a town
and agricultural centre of 6121 inhab., with manufactures of flannel,
is situated near the Severn, which here becomes navigable for
barges. The Powysland Museum (10-4, free) contains good collec¬
tions of fossils, prehistoric and Roman antiquities, shells, etc. The
Church of St. Mary (freely restored in 1871) has a good Dec. E.
window; fine view from the churchyard.
About 1 M. to the S. of Welshpool stands "Powys Castle (shown in
the absence of the family), the venerable seat of the Earl of Powis, called
by the Welsh Castell Goch (i. e. Red Castle) from the colour of the sand¬
stone of which it is built. It was founded in the 12th cent., but has been
much added to and modernised. The fine gateway is flanked by two
massive round towers. The castle contains some good portraits and
tapestry and a valuable collection of Indian curiosities brought home
by Lord Olive, an. ancestor of the Earl. The state-bedroom is still kept
exactly as it was when once occupied by Charles II. The beautiful Park
is open to the public (entrance in the main street of Welshpool); fine
view from the terraces in front of the castle.
Excursions may be made to Guilsfield, 3 M. to the N., with a fine old
church; to the waterfall of the Rhiw, near Berriew, 4>/2 M. to the S., and
on to (3 M.) Montgomery (see below); and to the N.E. to (4 M.) the
Breidden Hills (highest summit, Moel y-Golfa, 1300 ft.). On Breidden Hill
(1200 ft.) is a pillar commemorating Rodney's victory over the French in
1782 (view). Nearly all the hills near Welshpool are surmounted with
remains of ancient fortifications. — A light railway runs to Llanfair
Caereinion (Wynnstay Arms), 8 M. to the W.
From Welshpool to Oswestry, 16 M., railway in 25-45 min. (fares
2s. 2-J., Is. 7d., Is. Ad.). This line passes through a pretty district, which
would repay the pedestrian, who, however, should make a detour through
tbe glen of'the Tanal. From (10 M.) Llanymynech (Lion, R. 2s. 6d., D. 3s.)
a branch-line diverges to (9 M.) Llanfyllin (Wynnstay Arms, R. or D. 3s.),
celebrated for its ales and sweet bells. — From (12 M.) Llynclys a light rail¬
way ascends the valley of the Tanat to Llangynog (14 M.), at the foot of
theBerwyns (p. 283), passing (9 M.) Llanr/iaiadr Mochnanl (Wynnstay Arms,
R. 2s., D. 2s. 6d.), famed for its pony-fair. Llanrhaiadr is the nearest
station to (572 M.) "Pistyll Ithaiadr, the highest waterfall in Wales (p. 320).
Penybontfawr (inn), the station before Llangynog, is within 7'/2 M. of Lake
Vyrnwy (p. 319). — 16 M. Oswestry (Wynnstay, R. 4s., D. 3-5s.; Queens,