to Shrewsbury. WELLINGTON. 37. Route. 275
glass windows are modern. — In the Churchyard is a rudely-carved cross
or pillar, the origin of which is obscure. The Tower commands an ex¬
tensive view of the Black Country, the blazing furnaces of which present
a most weird spectacle after dark.
In Lichfield Street is the Art Gallery d> Museum containing the
fine CartwrigTit Collection of Pictures and other objects of art. Other
public buildings are the Town Hall, in North Street, a large modern
building in the Italian style; the Free Library; the Exchange; and
the Grammar School (1874), founded in 1515. The Orphan Asylum
is a handsome Elizabethan structure (250 children). Near the Agri¬
cultural Hall is a statue of the Right Hon. C. P. Villiers (b. 1802),
one of the leaders of the free-trade agitation, who represented
Wolverhampton in parliament from 1835 till his death in 1898.
Queen Square is adorned with a bronze equestrian Statue of Prince
Albert, by Thorny croft. There is also a Public Park.
The elder Edwin Booth, the tragedian, was originally an artisan
in Wolverhampton, working in the 'Old Hall Tin Factory'.
Environs. At Dunstall Park, 1 M. to theN., is the racecourse. About
2 M. to the N. W., on the road to Shifnal (see below), is the pretty village
of Tettenhall, the church of which contains a curious stained-glass window.
In the churchyard are some fine yews. — Boscobel, where Charles II. lay
in hiding after the battle of Worcester, under the care of 'Unparalleled
PendrelV, is 8 M. to the N.W. of Wolverhampton and 2 M. to the N. of
Albrighton (see below). The royal oak has now disappeared, but a hiding-
place in the floor is shown in which the king was concealed. — Longer
excursions may be made to (10 M.) Enville, with its beautiful gardens,
Bridgenorth, and Hagley.
From Wolverhampton to Stafford, 15M., L. N. W. Railway in xfs-xfi hr.
(fares 2s. 9d., Is. 6d., Is. 3!/2d.). Beyond (3 M.) Four Ashes the railway inter¬
sects the old Roman Watling Street. — 7 M. Penkridge, with a fine red
church (right). At (15 M.) Stafford we reach the main L.N.W. line (p. 365).
The train next passes Codsall, Albrighton, and (25 M.) Shifnal
(Jerningham Arms, R. 3s. Gd., L. 2s.-2s. Gd.), a picturesque little
town with half-timbered houses and a fine church. To the E. is
*Tong Church, a singularly pure example of early Perp. (1401-11).
32 M. Wellington (Wrekin Hotel; Red Lion), a nail-making
town of 6273 inhab., lies 2l/2 M. from the N. base of the Wrekin
(1320 ft.), a solitary hill of trap rock, which has for some time been
conspicuous to the left. The top, on which are some fortified re-
and a restaurant, commands an extensive *View.
From Wellington to Market Drayton, 17 M., railway in 1/2-3A hr.
(fares 2s. 9d., Is. 9d., Is. ilfed.). Unimportant stations. — 17 M. Market Drayton
(Corbet Arms) was the birthplace of Lord Clive (1725-74), who when a boy
once climbed the lofty steeple of St. Stephen's Church here. Lines go on
hence to Crewe (p. 364) and Stoke (p. 364).
Wellington to Craven Arms, see p. 189.
Beyond (38 M.) Upton Magna the train crosses the Severn.
42 M. Shrewsbury. — Hotels. Raven (PL d ; D, 2), Castle St., R. from
4«. 6d., D. from 2s. 6d.; George (PL b; C, 3), Shoplatch. opposite the
New Market Hall, R. from 4s., D. 3s. 6d.; Crown (PI. c; D, 2). St. Mary's St.,
R. from 4s., D. 4s.; Clarendon (PL d; D, 2), Pride Hill, R. 3s. 6d., D. 3s.;
Lion (PL e; D, 3), Wyle Cop, R. 4s., D. 3s.; Unicorn (PL f; D, 3), Wyle Cop.