274 Route 37. WOLVERHAMPTON. From Birmingham
large manufacturing towns; the view is perhaps most impressive by night,
when the flames issuing from the chimneys and furnaces envelope the
scene in a curious lurid glare. The caves below the castle, formed by
quarrying for limestone, are interesting (guide necessary). The Geological
Museum contains specimens of the minerals of the district. [From Dudley
a line runs to the S. to (5'/2 M.) Stourbridge (Talbot; Bell), a glass-making
town with 9386 inhab., and (12 M.) Kidderminster (Lion; Black Horse;
American Agent, Mr. James Morton), a town of 24,692 inhab., famed for
its manufactures of Brussels and other carpets. For 20 years (1640-61) it
was the scene of the labours of Richard Baxter (1615-91), to whom a statue
has been erected in the Bull Ring. His pulpit is in the vestry of the
New Meeting House. Sir Rowland Hill (1795-1879), introducer of the penny
post, was a native of the town, where he is commemorated by a statue.]
7J/2 M. Wednesbury (Anchor; Dartmouth Arms) is an ancient
town with 26,544 inhab. and large manufactories of railway axles
and tires and other iron goods. The Perp. Church contains some
good carving. — The next stations are (10 M.) Bradley, (10 M.)
Bilston (24,034 inhab.), and (11 M.) Priestfield, all busy places with
manufactures of iron and steel.
121/2 M. Wolverhampton. — Hotels. Star & Garter, Victoria St.;
Victoria, Lichfield St.; Coach & Horses, Snow Hill; Clarence Tempe¬
rance; Talbot, King St. — Rail. Rfmt. Rooms.
Cabs. Per mile Is., each addit. '/jJI. 6d.; per V2 hr. Is., each addit.
'/i hr. 6d. — Electric Tramways traverse the principal streets and run to
various points in the environs (comp. p. 273).
Post Office, Queen Street.
Theatre, at the corner of Garrick St. and Cleveland Road.
Railway Stations. High Level Station, at the foot of Lichfield St. for
L. & N.W. and Midland trains. Low Level Station in Sun St., near the
other, for G. W. R. trains.
American Commercial Agent, John Neve, Esq., 88 Darlington St.
Wolverhampton, the largest town in Staffordshire, with (1901)
94,179 inhab., derives its name fromWulfruna, sister of Ethelred II.,
who founded a college here in 996. It is the capital of the 'Black
Country', an extensive coal and iron mining district, in which vege¬
tation is almost entirely replaced by heaps of slag and cinders. It
lies, however, on the verge of this district, and the country to the
N. and W. are of the normal and pleasanter green hue. The special
manufactures of Wolverhampton are locks (370,000 a week), tin-
plate, and japanned goods. The well-known lock-manufactory of
the Messrs. Chubb is open to visitors by special permission only.
Wolverhampton is also an important agricultural market.
The most, interesting building in Wolverhampton is the vener¬
able *Chtjrch op St. Petee, in Queen Square, a handsome Dec.
and Perp. structure of the 13-15th cent., occupying the site of a
church of the 10th cent, and restored in 1865. It was formerly a
collegiate establishment. Bishop Hall (d. 1656) was one of its
The Interior contains a stone pulpit of the 15th cent., an ancient
font, and several old monuments, including that of Col. Lane, who help¬
ed Charles H. to escape after the battle of Worcester (1651) and shared
bis hiding-place in the royal oak at Boscobel (p. 275), and a bronze
statue of Admiral Leveson (temp. Charles 1.), by Le Sueur. The stained-