264 Route 36. NORTHAMPTON. From London
runs straight to Rugby, while a loop-line runs to the right via
Northampton, rejoining the main line just before Rugby.
The first station on the main line beyond Roade is (63 M.)
Blisworth (hotel), the junction of a line to Towctster and Strat¬
ford-on-Avon (comp. p. 253), of another to Banbury (p. 253),
and of a short one to Northampton (see below). Beyond Blisworth
the train crosses the Grand Junction Canal, and soon after threads a
tunnel 500 yds. long. 70 M. Weedon, with extensive barracks and
a powder-magazine, is the junction of a line to Daventry and
Leamington (p. 253). The line here follows the direction of the old
Roman road known as Watling Street. Beyond (76 M.) Welton is
the Kilsby Tunnel, 1Y3 M. long, on emerging from which the line
enters Warwickshire. — 83 M. Rugby, see p. 266.
Leaving Roade (see above) by the loop-line, we pass through
a cutting and a short tunnel and soon reach —
66 M. Northampton. — Hotels. Geobge (PI. a: C, 2), George Row;
Grand (PI. b; B, C, 2), Gold St.; Peacock (PI. c: C, 1), in the Market Place,
R. 3s., D. 3s. 6d.; North Western (PL d: B, 2), Gold St.; Angel (PL c; C, 2),
Plough (PL f; C, 2), Bridge St. — Rail. Rfmt. Rooms.
Cabs. From the railway-stations into the town, with luggage,
1-2 pers. Is., 3 pers. Is. 6d., 4 pers. 2s.; beyond the borough, Is. per mile.
Electric Tramways traverse some of the principal thoroughfares. —
Hotel Omnibuses meet the trains.
Railway Stations. Castle Station (PL A, 1, 2), on the N.W. side of the
town, for the L. N.W. trains ; Bridge St. Station (PL C, 3; L.N.W.), for trains
to Peterborough; Midland (PL C, 2), St. John's St., for trains to Bedford.
Post Office (PL C, 1), Abingtou St. — Opera House (PI. C, 2), Guild¬
hall St.; Palace Music Hall (PL B, 2), Gold St.
Northampton (comp. Plan, p. 266), the capital of the shire of
that name and the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop, is a well-built
town with (1901) 87,021 inhab., situated on the N. bank of the
Nene, and widely known for its manufactures of boots and shoes.
It is a place of considerable antiquity, and was the seat of numerous
parliaments in the 12th, 13th, and 14th centuries. In 1460 the
Lancastrians were defeated near Northampton, and Henry VI. taken
prisoner by the Earl of Warwick.
From the Castle Station (PL A, 1), which occupies part of the
site of the ancient Castle (11th cent.), Mare Fair and Gold St. ascend
to the E. to C/3 M.) the Drapery and the spacious Market Square
(PL C, 1), the busiest parts of the town, which are reached from
the other stations via Bridge St., where the old Hospital of St. John
(PL 0,2; founded 1138) deserves attention. — To the right in Mare
Fair, near the station, rises St. Peter's Church (PL B, 2), an inter¬
esting specimen of the enriched Middle-Norman style (p. xli). The
Church of All Saints (PL C, 2), at the S. end of the Drapery, was
rebuilt after the devastating conflagration of 1675, but retains its
14th cent, tower rising above a classic facade, surmounted by a
statue of Charles II. In George Row, to the S. of the church are the
County Hall (PL C, 2), in a Grecian style (17th cent.) and the County