262 Route 36. WATFORD.
is a caricature of the original. The church was rebuilt in 1852, the old
Lucy chapel and vault being incorporated with the new structure.
Lovers of Shakespeare will find much that is most suggestive and
interesting in the quaint little villages around Stratford; longer excur¬
sions mat be made to Warwick (p. 254), Leamington (p. 253), Kenilworth
(p. 256), Evesham (p. 197), Edgehill (p. 253), etc.
36. From London to Birmingham
via Rugby and Coventry.
113 M. L.N.W. Railway (Euston Station) in 2-374 hrs. (fares 17s. 4d.,
lis. 10d., 9s. 5d.). Luncheon or dining cars are attached to the principal
trains. The country traversed is somewhat monotonous.
Beyond Camden Town, with the principal depot of the North
Western Railway, and Chalk Farm, the train threads the Primrose
Hill Tunnel, 1180 yds. long. Near (3 M.) Kilburn is another tun¬
nel, after which we see Kensal Green Cemetery (see Baedeker's Lon¬
don) on the left. •— bl/z M. Willesden Junction (Rail. Rfmt. Rooms),
an important railway-junction, passed daily by 700 trains. Farther
on Wembley Tower is seen to the right. Beyond (8 M.) Sudbury a
view is obtained to the left of Harrow-on-the-Hill.
HV2 M. Harrow; the station is 1 M. from the town of Harrow-
on-the-Hill (p. 386). A short branch-line runs hence to Stanmore.
— Near (13'/2 M.) Pinner (p. 386), to the right, are the red brick
buildings of the Commercial Travellers' Schools. Beyond Pinner we
notice the ingenious arrangement by which the locomotives supply
themselves with water, without slackening speed, from troughs laid
clown between the rails. — 16 M. Bushey (The Hall, pens. 12s.-13s.
Gd.), with golf-links, is the seat of an art-school founded by Prof.
Herkomer in 1882. We cross the Colne by a high viaduct. — 174/2 M.
Watford (Clarendon; Maldon), with large breweries, is pleasantly
situated on the Colne, among the woods of Cassiobury (Earl of Essex;
let to Viscount Ridley) and The Grove (Earl of Clarendon; interest¬
ing portraits). A pretty public walk crosses the park of the former,
which also contains a fine golf-course, but neither house is shown.
To the right are the buildings of the London Orphan Asylum.
Watford is the junction of a line to (7 M.) St. Albans (p. 378), and
of another to (4 M.) Rickmansworth (p. 386). — We now pass
through another tunnel, upwards of 1 M. long, and cross the Grand
Junction Canal. — 21 M. King's Langley, a pleasant village with a
16th cent, church containing the tomb of Edmund Langley (d. 1402),
Duke of York, son of Edward III. The adjacent village of Abbot's
Langley belonged to the Abbey of St. Albans. — 24V2 M. Boxmoor,
the station for Hemel Hempstead. — 28 M. Berkhamstead; in the
pretty valley to the left lies the town of Great Berkhamstead (King's
Arms, R. 3s., D. 3s. Gd.), birthplace of the poet Cowper (1731-
18G0), with the remains of a castle and a Dec. church.
About 3 M. to the N.E. is Ashridge Park, a seat of Earl Brownlow,
the magnificent "Grounds of which, with their stately beech-woods, are