260 Route 35. STRATFORD-ON-AVON.
the importunities of visitors! The adjoining house, now also called New
Place (adm. 6d.) contains another but less interesting Shakespeare Mu¬
seum, through which we obtain access to the gardens with the foundations
of Shakespeare's house, an old well, and a scion of the mulberry. — Behind
(entr. from Chapel Lane) are the New Place Public Gardens (open free all
day in summer; Sun. 2-6).
Opposite New Place, at the corner of Chapel Lane and Church
St., stands the Guild Chapel (PL C, 3), rebuilt by Sir Hugh Clopton
(see p. 259) and still, like the parish-church and the grammar-
school, externally much the same as in the poet's days. It is ad¬
joined by the old Guild Hall (PI. C, 4), where Shakespeare may
often have seen the performances of strolling players; while the
upper story, substantially unchanged but restored in 1892, is the
Grammar School (adm. 6<2.) in which he was educated, founded in
the 14th century.
At the end of Church St. we turn to the left and follow the road
named Old Toivn to the *Church of the Holy Trinity (PL C, 5),
charmingly situated amid trees on the bank of the Avon. The
central tower dates from the 12th cent, and is surmounted by a
lofty spire of later date. The nave and transepts rank next in age,
and the church was completed in the 15th cent, by the addition of
the clerestory and the rebuilding of the chancel by Dean Balsall.
Traces of an earlier church have recently been exposed in the N. tran¬
sept. The church (adm. Gd.) was restored in 1890-92 and 1898.
Daily matins, 10.15-10.45 a.m.
The imposing "Interior contains many monuments of interest; but
'the mind refuses to dwell', as Washington Irving says in his well-
known sketch, 'on anything that is not connected with Shakespeare.
His idea pervades the place; the whole pile seems but as his mau¬
soleum. The feelings, no longer checked and thwarted by doubt,
here indulge in perfect confidence; other traces of him may be false or
dubious, but here is palpable evidence and absolute certainty'. The
Grave of the poet is on the N. side of the chancel, and is covered by a
slab bearing an oft-quoted inscription. On the wall above is the familiar
Bust, executed soon after Shakespeare's death by Gerard Johnson. The
original colouring has been reproduced. The adjacent stained-glass win¬
dow, representing the Seven Ages, was erected with the contributions
of American visitors. — Close to Shakespeare's tomb are those of his
wife, Anne Hathaway (d. 1623); hi3 daughter, Susan Hall (d. 1649); his
son-in-law, Dr. Hall (d. 1635); and Thomas Nash (d. 1647), the first hus¬
band of his granddaughter Elizabeth. — Among the other monuments
in the chancel are the altar-tombs of Dean Balsall (d. 1491; see above) and
John Combe (d. 1614), the money-lender. The large E. window, represent¬
ing the Crucifixion, is flanked by statues of SS. George and Margaret. —
Another memorial window, presented by Americans, was unveiled in the
S. transept in 1896. The main subject is the Incarnation; in the E. side¬
light are figures of the Bishop of Worcester (716 A.D.), Charles I., and
Archbp. Laud, with the Death of Laud below; in the W. side-light,
Amerigo Vespucci, Columbus, and William Penn, with the Landing of
the Pilgrim Fathers below. The design also includes figures of John
de Stratford, Archbp. of Canterbury in 1333, St. Eric, first transatlantic
bishop (in Greenland), and Bp. Seabury, first Bishop of Connecticut. —
The Clopton Chapel (originally the Lady Chapel), at the E. end of the N.
aisle, contains the monuments of Sir Hugh Clopton (p. 259), the Earl and
Countess of Totnes (d. 1629 and 1636), and other members of the Clopton
family. — The Pulpit, in the nave, was presented by Sir Theodore Martin