244 Route 33. OXFORD. Keble College.
from London to Oxford in 1889. — Farther to the N., in the same street,
is Mansfield College (PL E, 2; buildings finished in 1889), a similar in¬
stitution in connection with the Congregationalist body, and intended to
serve as a centre for the more orthodox Nonconformists in Oxford.
From the end of Broad St., Park St. leads to the N. to Wadham
College (PL E, 3; on the right), founded in 1613.
The Gale Tower and the timber-ceiling of the Hall deserve inspection,
and the Chapel (see p. lix), with some stained glass of 1622, is also fine.
The "Gardens are among the prettiest in Oxford. Among the alumni of
Wadham are Sir Christopher Wren, Lord Chancellor Westbury, and Ad¬
miral Blake. The Royal Society (see Baedeker's London) grew out of meet¬
ings for scientific discussion held here in the time of the Commonwealth
(ca. 1648). Most of the leaders of the English Positivists (Congreve, Fred¬
eric Harrison, Beesly) came from Wadham.
Farther to the N. is the *University Museum (PL D, E, 1, 2),
a Gothic building (1857-60), containing valuable geological, chem¬
ical, anatomical, zoological, and other collections (adm. daily 10-2,
6d., 2-4 Thurs. & Sat. free, other days 3d.). A wing, added in 1887,
contains the anthropological collections of Gen.Pitt-Rivers(d.1901).
Adjoining the museum are well-equipped Laboratories of chemistry,
physiology, and experimental physics (Clarendon Laboratory). Im¬
mediately to the S. is the new building (1901) for the Radcliffe
Library, a collection of works on natural science, founded in 1837
by Dr. Radcliffe, court-physician to William III. and Mary II.
Nearly opposite the Museum is Keble College (PL D, 1, 2), a
striking building in variegated brick, opened in 1870 as a memorial
of the Rev. John Keble (d. 1866), author of the 'Christian Year',
and intended to afford the opportunity of a university career to those
whose means do not permit them to study at the older and more
expensive colleges. Keble resembles the Halls in having no Fellows.
The Chapel (completed in 1876), entered from the archway at its W.
end (open 10-12 and 2-4, in summer till 5.30), is gorgeously adorned with
mosaics; in the Liddon Memorial Chapel (adm. 6d.; tickets at the porter's
lodge) is Holman Hunt's 'Light of the World'. The Library and Hall
(1S78) contain interesting relics of Keble and portraits of Keble (by Rich¬
mond), Liddon, Laud, etc. (open 2-4. in vacation also 10-12; adm. 6d.).
In front of Keble are the University Parks (PL E, F, 1), one of the most
charming recreation-grounds in England. The scene during an important
cricket-match is very bright and varied. The Observatory stands in the Parks.
From Keble we now return, passing Wadham College, to the
end of Broad St., and follow Catherine St., which leads hence in a
straight direction towards the S. To the left stands Hertford Col¬
lege (PL E, 3), founded in 1740 on the site of Hart or Hert¬
ford Hall, which dated from about 1282. About 1816 the college
collapsed, and from 1822 to 1874 the buildings were occupied
by Magdalen Hall. In the latter year the defunct Hertford College
was resuscitated through the munificence of Mr. T. C. Baring, M, P.
Among the members of Hart Hall, Magdalen Hall, and Hertford Col¬
lege were Selden, Thomas Hobbes, Lord Chancellor Clarendon, Waller,
Sir Matthew Hale, Dean Swift, and C. J. Fox.
New College St., between Hertford College and its new build¬
ings (1904), leads hence to —