Radcliffe Camera. OXFORD 33. Route. 241
The 'Chapel (11-5) is one of the finest in Oxford; the choir was built
by the founder and consecrated in 1276, while the ante-ehapel and tower
date from 1417-24 (services on Sun. at 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., 5.45 in summer
term). The massive tower is one of the landmarks of Oxford. The win¬
dows of the ante-chapel are excellent examples of early-Perpendicular. The
chapel contains two very fine brasses of the 14th and 15th cent., and An¬
thony it Wood (d. 1695), the chronicler of Oxford, is buried in the ante-
chapel. The Library (11-5; fee), built at the end of the 14th cent., is the
most ancient in England and contains many rare books and MSS. The
Inner Quadrangle is a good example of the Jacobean style. The so-called
'Queen's Room' in the Warden's House commemorates the fact that Queen
Henrietta Maria was lodged here in 1613. Duns Scotus, Steele, and Bodley
(founder of the Bodleian Library) are among the most distinguished alumni
of Merton, which has also contributed six archbishops to the see of Can¬
terbury. Harvey (discoverer of the circulation of the blood; comp. p. 480)
was Warden. The garden commands a fine view: to the E. is Magdalen
Tower, to the W. the Cathedral, in front Christ Church Meadow.
Incorporated with Merton is St. Alban Hall (PL E, 4), founded
in 1230, with a facade of 1600. Among the eminent names connected
with this small institution are Massinger, Whateley, and Speaker
Lenthall. — We now proceed to the W. end of Merton St., where
Oriel St. diverges to the right. In it, on the right, stands —
Oriel College (PL E, 4), founded in 1326, nominally by Edwardll.
but actually by Adam de Brome. The present buildings date mainly
from 1630-42, and though destitute of marked architectural merit
form a picturesque and pleasing whole. The library was erected in
1788. In the same street, a little farther on, is St. Mary Hall
(PL E, 4), established in 1333 by Oriel and re-incorporated with
that college in 1896; it is known in the undergraduate world as
Sir Walter Raleigh, Bishop Butler, Gilbert White of Selborne, Cardinal
Newman, Abp. Whateley, Keble, Dr. Thomas Arnold, Bishop Wilberforce,
A. H. Clough, Thomas Hughes, and Pusey were members of Oriel.
Opposite St. Mary Hall, on the N. side of High St., are the new
buildings of Brasenose College (p. 242) and St. Mary the Virgin's
(PI E, 4), the University Church, open daily 8-8.30, 9.30-1, and
2-5 (sexton, 5 Bear Lane, Oriel St.). The handsome spire dates
from 1300, the choir from 1460, the nave from 1488, and the S.
porch with its curious twisted pillars (p. lix), added by Dr. Owen,
chaplain of Abp. Laud, from 1637. A slab in the chancel pave¬
ment records that Amy Robsart was buried in the choir in 1560.
The University Sermons are preached here on Sun. morning and
afternoon; the former is preceded by the special 'Bidding Prayer'
for the University. — At the back (to the N.) rises the —
'Radcliffe Camera (PL E, 4), or Camera Bodleiana, originally
the home of the Radcliffe Library (oomp. p. 244). The building
(1737-39) is a handsome rotunda, embellished with columns, and
surmounted by a dome resting on an octagonal base; Mr. Freeman
considers it 'the grandest of all English-Italian designs'. The books
were removed to the University Museum in 1861 and the building
is now used as part of the Bodleian (10 a.m. to 10 p.m.; adm. 3d.).
Rakokiter's Great Britain. 6th Edit. 1(5