240 Route 33. OXFORD. Corpus Christi.
To the S. of Tom Quad aTe the modern Christ Church Meadow
Buildings. We return through the Great Quadrangle, passing the
Dean's house on the right, and enter Peckwater Quadrangle (1705).
On the S. side is the Library (1761), containing a valuable collection
of books and a few paintings and drawings by Italian masters (Raphael,
etc.; 11-1 and 2-4, in vacation 9-6; adm. 3d.). The pictures include a
Nativity by Titian, examples of Giotto, Cimabue, and Margaritone, and
a curious Butcher's Shop by A. Carracci. Many of the drawings are also
interesting. In the entrance-hall is a statue by Chantrey, and on the stair¬
case are a bust of Persephone by Hiram Powers and a statue of John
Locke by Rysbrach. The curiosities of the library (upstairs) include a
letter of Charles II. and a Latin exercise hook of the Duke of Gloucester,
son of Queen Anne, with corrections by his tutor Bishop Burnet (1700).
To the N. is Canterbury Quad, with Canterbury Gate, on the
site of Canterbury College, an extinct corporation of which Wycliffe
(d. 1384) was once Warden, and which numbered Sir Thomas More
(beheaded 1535) among its students.
Among the most distinguished members of Christ Church are Sir Philip
Sidney, Locke, Camden, Ben Jonson, the Wesleys, Wellington, Peel, Pusey,
Liddon, Ruskin, and Gladstone. This was also King Edward VII.'s college.
During term we may here leave Christ Church by Canterbury
Gate and next visit Corpus Christi (see below), but in the vacation
we must retrace our steps to the great Tom Gate. Here we turn to
the left, and by the lane immediately to the S. of Christ Church,
enter Christ Church Meadow (PL E, F, 5), which is intersected by
the *Broad Walk, an avenue of noble elms.
The Broad Walk is the scene of '•Show Sunday', formerly a fashionable
promenade on the evening of the Sunday in Commemoration Week (p. 237),
but now almost wholly resigned by 'Gown' to 'Town'. A delightful
walk may be taken from Christ Church Meadow along the Isis, passing
the College Barges (p. 234), to the Cherwell and Magdalen College
(comp. p. 245).
Near the W. end of the Broad Walk an avenue diverges to the
N., and passing between Merton and Corpus Christi, leads to Merton
Street. To the left is the entrance to —
Corpus Christi College (PL E, 5), founded in 1516 by Foxe,
Bishop of Winchester. This is said to be the only college in Oxford
that did not melt its plate for Charles I.
The vaulted roof of the gateway leading to the quadrangle is fine;
in the latter is a curious old sun-dial with a perpetual calendar. In the
S.E. corner is the Chapel, containing an altar-piece by Knbens and Bishop
Fox's pastoral staff, and beside it is the passage to the cloisters and to
a newer part of the college, added in 1706. The Library is rich in illu¬
minated MSS. and incunabula. The buildings (1886) at the corner of
Merton St. and George St. also belong to Corpus. Richard Hooker was
a student of Corpus, and his rooms are still pointed out; other eminent
members are Cardinal Pole, Bishop Jewel, Gen. Oglethorpe (founder of
Georgia), Keble, Thomas Arnold, Chief-Justice Coleridge, and Thomas
Day, author of 'Sandford and Merton'.
*Merton College (PI. E, 5), the oldest in the University, founded
by Walter do Merton in 1264 at Maiden in Surrey but transferred to
Oxford in 1274, was originally intended exclusively for the edu¬
cation of parish-priests.