232 Route 32. WINDSOR.
R. 2s. 6d.; Bridge House, R. 4s., D. from 3s. 6d., well spoken of;
Christopher, these two at Eton), a town with 21,477 inhab., well-
known as the ancestral residence of the English sovereigns.
William the Conqueror built a castle at Windsor, but the oldest part
of the present "Windsor Castle, which represents the additions and alter¬
ations of many monarchs, dates from Edward III. The last restoration was
begun under George IV. and finished under Victoria at a cost of 900,0001.
The wards of the castle and the N. terrace are always open to the public ;
the E. terrace on Sat. and Sun. only, from 2 to 6 p.m., in the absence of
the King. The State Apartments are shown (in the absence of the court)
on Tues., Wed., and Thurs., from 1st April to 30th Sept. 11-5, in Oct., 11-4,
from 1st Nov. to 31st March, 11-3. The Round Tower is open at the same
hours, but in summer only. St. George's Chapel is open daily except Frid.
and holy days, 12.30 to 3 or 4; divine service on Sun. 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.,
on week-days 10.30a.m. and 6p.m. Tickets of admission to the State
Apartments are obtained at the Lord Chamberlain's Office at the castle.
The Royal Stables (daily 1-3; tickets at the entrance; small fee to groom
who acts as guide) are situated on the S. side of the castle. — For farther
details, and for Eton College, see Baedeker's Handbook for London. — From
Windsor to London by railway, see p. 110.
The best scenery on the Thames lies between Oxford and Wind¬
sor, and manv tourists begin or end the excursion here (boat-charges
Rounding the next bend, we pass under the Victoria Bridge.
70'/2 M. (1.) Datchet (Manor House; Royal Stag), the scene of
Sir John Falstaff's unpleasant experiences at the hands of the 'Merry
Wives of Windsor'. It is a favourite haunt of anglers. Beyond the
(71 M.) Albert Bridge, the next bend is avoided by means of a 'cut',
rejoining the river at (72 M.) Old Windsor Lock, with water-works
for supplying Windsor Castle. A little farther down is the (r.)
Bells of Ouseley Inn, noted for its ale; and about 3/4 M. farther on
is Magna Charta Island, where King John signed the charter; the
little house is said to cover the very stone that served him for a
table. Opposite (1.) rises Cooper's Hill, celebrated in Denham's
well-known poem. The Royal Indian Engineering College here was
closed in 1906. On Mt. Lee is the Holloway College for Women, with
a picture gallery (adm. on Wed. on application to the secretary).
Below Cooper's Hill is the famous field of Runnimede, where the
Barons encamped in 1215. — 75 M. Bell Weir Lock (Anglers' Rest).
76 M. (1.) Staines (Angel; Phoenix), with a substantial granite
bridge. — 78 M. Penton Hook Lock, with a somewhat dangerous
weir. — A little farther down, on the left, is Laleham, where
Matthew Arnold (1822-88) was born and is buried. About 1 M. to
the N.W. of the station is St. Anne's Hill (view), with the summer
residence of Charles James Fox.
791/2 M. (r.) Chertsey (Bridge; Crown; Swan), a small town
with 12,762 inhab., !/2 M. from the river, which is here crossed
by a bridge. Scanty remains of the old abbey still exist, and the
house in which Cowley the poet died in 1667 is marked by an
82 .VI. Shepperlon Lock , opposite which, at the mouth of the