HIGH WYCOMBE. 31. Route. 227
siderable importance. St. Helen's Church is a large edifice, with a fine spire;
and Christ's Hospital, an old almshouse, has interesting features. Cumnor
Hall (p. 252), 5 M. to the N., was originally a seat of the Abbots of Abingdon.
Beyond Radley the train again crosses the Isis. Bagley Woods
are seen to the left, and farther on Iffley is passed on the right. As
we approach Oxford we have a fine view of the city, with its towers
and spires, to the right. — 63l/2 M. Oxford, see p. 233.
b. Great Western Railway via Maidenhead and High Wycombe.
63 M. Railway from Paddington Station in 2V2-3 hrs. (fares as above)
From London to (24 M.) Maidenhead, see p. 110. The Oxford
line now turns to the N. The next stations are Cookham (with a
picturesque church; p. 231) and (29 M.) Bourne End, where a short
branch diverges on the left to Great Marlow (p. 231). — 30 M.
Wooburn Green, with an interesting church; 31i/2 M. Loudwater.
34i/2 M. High Wycombe (Red Lion, R. 4s., D. 3s. 6d.; Falcon),
a town with 15,532 inhab. and manufactories of paper and beech-
wood-chairs. The Parish Church is a large and handsome building.
The Guildhall contains a portrait by Vandyck. In the vicinity are
a Roman villa and a Saxon camp known as Desborough Castle.
About 2 M. to the N. lies Hughenden Manor, seat of the Earl of Bea-
consfield from 1847 till his death in 1881. The Earl is buried in the
village-church, where a monument was erected to him by Queen Victoria.
High Wycombe is the junction of a new joint-line (now under con¬
struction) of the G. W. and G. C. railways, running from Paddington via
Northolt, Denham, and Beaconsfield.
39!/2 M. Saunderton. — 42!/2 M. Prince's Risborough (George ;
Wheatsheaf), a smalltown amid the Chiltern Hills, named from an
old castle of the Black Prince, of which no trace remains. On one
of the hills is a curious old Cross, cut in the turf, and said to com¬
memorate a victory of the Christian Saxons over the Danes.
Branch-lines diverge from Risborough to (9 M.; left) Watlington and
to (7 M.; right) Aylesbury (p. 385).
48 M. Thame (Spread Eagle; Swan), with an old church, where
John Hampden died in 1643. Near (56 M.) Wheatley is Cuddesden
Palace, the residence of the Bishop of Oxford. — 63 M. Oxford,
see p. 233.
c. London and North Western Railway.
78 M. Railway from Euston Station in l3/i-23/4 hrs. (fares as above).
From London to (47 M.) Bletchley, see R. 36. The Oxford line
here diverges to the left from the main line. — 55!/2 M. Verney
From Verney Junction to Banbury, 22 M., railway in 50 min. (fares
3s. 10d., 2s., Is. 9V2d.). The chief intermediate station is (17 M.) Bucking¬
ham (White Hart; Swan), a lace-making town with 3151 inhabitants. Near
the town begins a magnificent avenue of elms, 2 M. long, leading to Slowe,
the princely seat of the Baroness Kinloss. The pleasure-gardens, in the
taste of last century, have been deservedly commemorated by Pope (no
admittance). — 22 M. Banbury, see p. 253.
Another line runs from Verney Junction to Aylesbury (p. 385).