220 Route 29. TENBY. From Whitland
and the coast-scenery in the neighbourhood is of a high order. The
neighbourhood is 'the prince of places for a naturalist', and even
those who have no claim to this title will find much to interest
them in Mr. Gosse's 'Tenby: a Seaside Holiday'.
The long and lofty wall, with its towers and gateways, known
as the 'Arches' and passed on the way from the railway-station, is
a remnant of the town-fortifications as strengthened to resist the
threatened attack of the Armada in 1588.
The Parish Church of St. Mary, in the principal street, is an
E.E. edifice (1256), with Perp. and modern alterations. Its chief
external feature is the lofty spire (150 ft.).
The interior contains some interesting monuments, of which may be
mentioned the old tombs, with effigies, to the E. and W. of the N. door
(14th and 15th cent.); that of the wife of Thomas ap Rhys, in the N. aisle
of the chancel; and that of Thomas While (d. 1482), mayor of Tenby, who
helped the Earl of Richmond (Henry VII.) to escape "after the battle of
Tewkesbury. A good effect is produced by the singular elevation of the
chancel above the rest of the church.
At the end of the headland on which the town lies are the in¬
significant ruins of Tenby Castle and a Statue of Prince Albert. A
band plays here in summer, and the promenade affords a good view.
Here, too, is the Tenby Museum (adm. 6d.), with a collection illus¬
trating the natural history (fine shells) and geology of the neigh¬
bourhood, and containing some mementoes of the French landing
at Fishguard (p. 212). Below is the Victoria Pier. — The real
geological ending of the promontory is the detached St. Catharine s
Rock, on which is mounted a small battery. The coast on both sides
is still defended by martello towers. — Tenby is the best head¬
quarters for exploring the S.W. corner of Wales, and a few of the
favourite excursions are given below. Good walkers should visit a
part at least of the fine coast between Tenby and St. Govan's Head.
The charming little cove to the N. of the point is known as Tenby
Roads, while the larger sweep to the S. is called the South Sands. Giltar
Point bounds the latter on the S., and commands a splendid view of the
bold rocky coast to the W. and of the island of Caldy (lighthouse). The
direct route to it across the sands is l1/, M. long; hut for the sake of a
gentler ascent we may approach from the landward by following the
railway as far as the Black Rock (at the bridge) and then bearing to the
left across Penally Burrows (golf), leaving the village of Penally to the right.
From Tenby to Penally. By the path along the railway the distance
is about l'/4 M., by the road 2 M. The latter, the 'Marsh Road', runs
to the W. at first for about l>/4 M., and then ascends to the S. (left) past
a white farm-house. At the next fork we also keep to the left. Penally
(Crown Inn), a pretty little village, with a restored church containing
an altar-tomb of the 13th cent, and a Norman font, is one of the three
alleged burial-places of St. Teilo (see p. 217). — On the way to Penally
we may digress to visit the cave called Hoyle's Mouth (a light desirable).
We diverge from the road to the right 1f, M. beyond the Marsh Bridge,
pass through the O/3 M.) second gate on the left, and ascend by the in¬
distinct path straight up (not the well-marked track to the left) to the
(1 min.) cave, the mouth of which is hidden among the trees.
From Tenby to Saundersfoot, 3-4 M. Good walkers' should go by
road and return by the cliffs; the walk may be shortened by taking the
railway (p. 221). — By Road. Just outside the town, walkers may save 1f, M.