TENBY. 29. Route. 219
and other interesting architectural details. About 3 M. beyond the Abbey,
in a hollow amid bleak and desolate moorland, are the Teifi Pools, where
the Teifi takes its rise.
The train now crosses the watershed between the Teifi and the Ystwylh,
and descends into the prettily-wooded valley of the latter. 50 M. Llanilar,
with an interesting church. As we approach Aberystwyth we have a view
of the sea and town to the left.
56 M. Aberystwyth, see p. 281.
29. From Whitland to Tenby and Pembroke.
27 M. Great Western Railway to (16 M.) Tenby in sf, hr. (fares 2s. 8d.,
Is. 8d., Is. 4d.); to (27 M.) Pembroke Dock in l1/* hr. (fares 4s. 6d., 3s., 2s.
3V2d.). — Through-carriages from London to Tenby and Pembroke are
attached to the morning-express from Paddington.
Whitland Junction, see p. 212. The train now enters Pem¬
brokeshire, a county which has acquired the name of a 'Little
England beyond Wales' owing to the fact that it is mainly peopled
by the descendants of a colony of Flemings settled here by Henry I.
(in 1107; comp. p. 212). To this day they have preserved their
distinctive character, and little or no Welsh is spoken in the county
to the S. of Haverfordwest. Visitors should also note the peculi¬
arly massive church-towers that are characteristic of Pembroke¬
shire, and they will find much to interest them in its numerous
fine castles. So many 'Ogham' inscriptions have been found in
Pembrokeshire (on Caldy, p. 220; at Treffgarne, etc.), that it has
been supposed that this character originated here. — 5 M. Narberth
(De Rutzen Arms; Angel), a market-town with a ruined castle.
About 4 M. to the N.W. of Narberth is Llawhaden Castle, long a resi¬
dence of the Bishops of St. David's. It owes its ruinous condition to Bishop
Barlow, who stripped the lead from its roof (1536-49). The chief feature
of the ruins is the gateway. — Llawhaden Church is also interesting.
12 M. Saundersfoot (Cambrian, R. from Is. 6d., D. 2s.; Henn
Castle), a little seaport l3/4 M. to the S. of the station (omn. 6d.),
is frequented as a bathing-resort and has a good sandy beach. The
environs are picturesque and" full of pleasant objects for excursions.
On the way from the station to the village is the interesting old
Church of St. Issel.
16 M. Tenby. —Hotels. -Royal Gate House, R. or D. 4s.; Royal Lion;
Cobourg, a comfortable family house, R. is., D. is.; these three near each
other, with views of the sea. — Tddor Temperance, in the centre of the
town. — Boarding Houses and Lodgings. — Hotel-omnibuses meet the trains.
Steamers ply in summer to Bristol (5'/2 hrs.; return-fare 6s. 6d.),
Milford, Ilfracombe (2'/4 hrs.), etc.; also to Wexford (12 hrs.; 15s.). —
Rowing Boat with one man, Is. 6d. per hr.; 9d. each addit. >/2 hr.; Sailing
Boat, with two men, 2s. and Is.
Cab with one horse, first hour 2s. 6d.; each addit. '/4 hr. 6d.; with
two horses 3s. and 7'/2d.; per mile Is. or Is. 6d.; each addit. V* M. 6d. or 9d.
Tenby, a small town with 4400 inhab., is finely placed upon
a bold rocky promontory, jutting out between two beautiful sandy
bays and towering to a considerable height above them. The sands
are smooth, firm, and extensive, the climate is mild and equable,