218 Route 28. LAMPETER.
wall near the station forms part of the County Gaol, which in¬
corporates the remains of the old castle. On the river, near the
station, is the Parade Walk (reached from Spilman St. by Parade
Road), an esplanade commanding a good view of 'winding Towy,
Merlin's fabled haunt'. Coracles (see p. 183) may still frequently
be seen on the river. — At the end of Spilman St. is the Church of
St. Peter, a large and handsome Dec. building, recently restored.
The interior contains some interesting monuments, among which may
be mentioned the altar-tomb of Sir Rhys-ap-Thomas (A. 1527) and his wife,
on the S. side of the chancel; the memorial of Lady Anne Vaughan, with
a curious inscription; the monument (near the S. door) of Bishop Ferrars,
who was burned in the market-place under Queen Mary (1565); and the
modern tablet to Sir Richard Steele, who is buried in the chapel at the
E. end of the S. aisle (see also below).
On the W. side of the town are the County Lunatic Asylum,
the & Wales Training College, and an obelisk to Gen. Picton (A. 1815).
From the Parade a pretty walk known as Pond Side leads to the
(2 M.) Gwili river. WTe may return by the Conwil road, or go on to Bron-
wydd Arms Station (see below). — Another pleasant walk may be taken
to (2 M.) Llangunnor, on a lofty site overlooking the Vale of Towy. We
cross the bridge, follow the Llandilo road, keep to the left at (i/j M.) the
fork, and then ascend the (1/3 M.) lane to the right. The 'White House'
of Llangunnor was the scene of Sir Richard Steele's death in 1729. —
Excursions may also be made from Carmarthen to Grongar Hill (p. 217),
Dynevor Castle (p. 217), and other places in the Towy valley.
From Carmarthen Junction (p. 211) to Swansea, Whitland (for TenJ>y),
etc., see R. 26.
From Carmarthen to Aberystwyth, 56 M., railway in 3-31/; hrs. (fares
9s. 6d., 6s. 10d., 4s. 8d.). This line traverses an uninteresting district,
but it forms the most direct route from Swansea, Tenby, etc., to Aberyst¬
wyth. As far as (15 M.) Pencader it belongs to the G. W. Railway, but
beyond that to the Manchester and Milford Railway, which derives its
name from its original conception as a link in a direct through-line from
Manchester to Milford. The carriages are poor, and the pace slow. — The
line diverges to the left from the railway to Llandovery and ascends the
pretty valley of the Gwili. 3'/2 M. Bronwydd Arms. — From (15 M.) Pencader
the G.W.R. line runs via, (3'/2 M.) Llandyssil (Porth Hotel, pens. 10s. 6d.;
Rail. Refreshmt. Rooms) to (10'/2 M.) Newcastle Emlyn (Salutation, R. or
D 2s. 6d.; Emlyn Arms, R. 3s , D. 2s. 6d.), see p. 212. From Llandyssil
an omnibus runs daily (fare 2s. 6d.) to New Quiy (p. 212). — At (16Vj W.)
New Quay Road we enter the valley of the Teifi.
27 M. Lampeter ("Black Lion, unpretending), a clean little agricultural
town with 1722 inhab., owes much of its prosperity to St. David's College,
the oldest of the Welsh colleges. It is now attended by 152 students, and
there is a good school in connection with it. The library of 40,000 vols is
rich in theological, historical, aid classical works, and contains some MSS.
A large horse-fair is held at Lampeter annually on May 8th. — There is
a British Camp ll/i M. from Lampeter, and a Roman Camp a little farther
on. — A good road (waggonette daily) leads to the W. from Lampeter to
(13 M) Aberayron (p. 212), and one to the E. to (8V2 M.) Pumpsainl and
(21 M.) Llandovery (p. 216).
To the left, at (29 M.) Derry Ormond, is a lofty view-tower on a hill.
About 2 M. to the S.E. of (34 M.) Pont Llanio is Llanddewi-Brefi, with
an interesting church, where St. David is said to have held a synod in the
6th cent, to take measures for checking the Pelagian heresy.
42 M. Strata Florida, the station for Strata Florida Abbey (12th
cent.), which lies 3 M. to the E. The Abbey, the name of which is a
Latinised form of 1'strad FflUr, or plain of the Fflur, is an almost effaced
ruin, with only one late-Norman arch remaining, but excavations hive
laid bare the ground-plan and brought to light some fine pavements, tombs,