to Carmarthen. CARMARTHEN. 28. Route. 217
59i/2 M. Llandovery (Castle, in the town; North Western, at
the station), a small town on the Towy, with 1809 inhab. and the
insignificant remains of an old castle. The largest building is the
Welsh Collegiate Institute. Llandovery is a good centre for excur¬
sions in the valleys of the Towy and the Bran.
The finest part of the "Vale of Towy is above Llandovery, and may
be enjoyed by walking or driving to (10 M.) Ystradffin, though walkers may
with advantage extend their explorations a few miles farther. Near
Ystradffin is Twm Shon Catti's Cave. — The Carmarthen Van (2630 ft.),
a mountain second in height and interest among those of South Wales to
the Brecknock Beacons alone, may be ascended from Llandovery in 4-5 hrs.
A carriage may be taken to (9 M.) Blaenau, a farm 4 M. from the top.
— From Llandovery to Devynock, see p. 215.
From (631/, M.) Llanwrda (Vale of Towy Inn) a picturesque
drive may be taken to (16'/2 M.) Lampeter (p. 218), passing (8 M.)
Pumpsaint and Dolaucothie, with remarkable caves, said to be
the remains of Roman gold-mines. — 65 M. Llangadock (Red
Lion) is another starting-point for an ascent of the Carmarthen Van.
70 M. Llaudilo (Cawdor Arms; Castle; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), a
picturesquely-situated little town with 1934 inhab., is a good centre
for excursions. It is one of the three places where, according to
tradition, the miraculously multiplied body of St. Teilo was buried.
Our line here diverges to the right from the main line to Llanelly
and Swansea (see below). The town has given its name to a slate
formation well known as the 'Llandilo Flags'.
About l'/s M. to the W. of the town is Dynevor Castle, an interesting
Norman ruin in a beautiful park (keys kept by the head-gardener.) The
modern mansion is the residence of Lord Dynevor. The park begins
'/, M. from the town. Spenser places the cave of Merlin 'amongst the
woody hills of Dinevowr', 'a little space from the swift Barry' ('Faery
Queene', Hi. 3). — Excursions may also be made to Grongar Hill (see below),
Golden Grove (see below), Talley Abbey (a picturesquely situated ruin, 7'/2 M.
to the N.), and Castell Carreg Cennen (a finely-placed ruined castle of the
end of the 14th cent., 41/2 M. to the E.).
From Llandilo to Llanelly and Swansea, 25 M., railway in l-l1/^ hr.
(fares is., 2s. Gd., 2s.). Most of the stations are unimportant. — 13 M. Poniar-
dulais is the junction for the line (G.W.R.) to (7 M.) Llanelly (p. 211). The
Swansea line (L.N.W.) keeps to the left bank of the Llwchwr estuary and
crosses the S. Wales main line at (17 M.) Gowerton, whence a branch runs
to Penclawdd and Llanmorlais (p. 209). 20 M. Killay (p. 209). From (22 M.)
Mumbles Road the line runs along Swansea Bay to (25 M.) Swansea (Vic¬
toria Station; p. 207).
Beyond Llandilo Dynevor Castle is seen to the right. To the
left, near (73 M.) Golden Grove, is the mansion of that name,
the seat of the Earl Cawdor, where Jeremy Taylor wrote several of
his works. The present house is quite modern. To the N. rises
Grongar Hill, the subject of the poem by Dyer (A. 1758).
Farther on we pass the ruins of Drysllwyn Castle, to the right.
83 M. Abergwili, with the palace of the Bishop of St. David's.
84 M. Carmarthen (Ivy Bush, R. & B. 6s. 6d.; Boar's Head,
R. from 2s. 6d., D. 3s.; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), the county-town of
Carmarthenshire, is an ancient place with 9935 inhab., on the Towy.
It occupies the site of the Roman Maridunum. The battlemented