21. Route. 213
Milford or Milford Haven (Lord Nelson; American Agent, Mr.
G. S. Kelway), a town with 5101 inhab., lies about 6 M. above the
mouth of * Milford Haven, the 'blessed Milford' of Imogen (Cymbe-
line, ni, 2), a splendid harbour, in which the whole English navy
could ride securely at anchor. It was formerly a considerable sea¬
port, but the attempts of modern enterprise and capital to revive
its importance have hitherto resulted only in a conglomeration of
large but deserted docks, quays, and lines of railway. On a build¬
ing near the station is a tablet recording, in amusingly pompous
language, the visit of George IV. in 1821. Henry VII. landed here
in 1485, as Earl of Richmond, on his way to claim the crown.
New Milford or Neyland (*South Wales Hotel, R. from 3s. 6d.),
which lies a little farther up the Haven, directly opposite Pembroke
Dock (p. 223), is the terminus of the G. W. Railway and the
starting-point of steamers to Waterford and Cork. Steam ferry to
Pembroke Dock (Hobbes Point, p. 223) 2d., retiirn-faTe 3d.
Pleasant boating-excursions may be made in *Milford Haven, and its
various ramifications explored. In fine weather a boat is the best means
of passing from the one Milford to the other; but the road (5 M.) is also
not unattractive. The Haven is protected by fortifications.
27. From Hereford to Brecon and Swansea.
Midland Railway from Hereford to (38 M.) Brecon in l'/4 hr. (fares 5s.,
3s. lV2d.); to (78 M.) Swansea in 4 hrs. (fares Us. id., 6s. 5V2d.). This
route traverses much of the finest scenery in South Wales, and a visit
to the Upper Valley of the Wye (see below) may be combined with it.
Hereford, see p. 186. Near (9 M.) Moorhampton a well-preserved
portion of Offa's Dyke (p. 279) is visible. At (131/) M.) Eardisley
a line diverges to Kington, Presteign, and New Radnor. Beyond
(17 M.) Whitney we cross the Wye and pass Clifford Castle, the
traditional birthplace of 'Fair Rosamond'.
21 M. Hay (Crown, It. 3s. Gd., D. 3s.; Blue Boar, R. or D.
2s. 6d.), an old Norman border-town, with 1680 inhab. and the scanty
remains of a castle. The name, like The Hague in Holland, means
a hedge or enclosure (French haie). The station here is in England
(Herefordshire) and the town in Wales (Breconshire). Those who
wish to explore the UppeT Wye (see below) on foot may begin at
Hay; and a pleasant walk may also be taken to the S. across the
Black Mts. to (12 M.) Llanthony (p. 201). — 24y2 M. Glasbury
(Maesllwch Arms, I1/2 M. from the station). Good view of the
26 M. Three Cocks Junction (Rail. Refreshmt. Rooms; Three
Cocks Inn, 1/2 M. to theE.) is the junction for the Mid-Wales section
of the Cambrian Railways through the Upper Valley of the Wye. To
the left rise the Black Mountains (p. 201).
From Three Cocks Junction to Moat Lane, 48 M., Cambrian Railways
in 2-3hrs. (fares 6s. id., is. 8d.,4s.). This line follows the upper course of the
Wye, the beautiful scenery of which is, however, best explored by the ped¬
estrian. — From (7 M.) Boughrood (Boat Inn, Griffin, both primitive) a