206 Route 26. BRIDGEND. From London
ated in the aisle-walls. The Chapter House is also E.E., of a some¬
what later date ; the Lady Chapel is early Dec.; the Presbytery and
the walls of the aisles both in nave and choir were rebuilt in the
late Dec. period; and the N. W. tower was built by Jasper Tudor,
uncle of Henry VII., while the S. W. tower (E. E.) seems to have
been left standing. At a later date the building was completely
neglected; the W. end of the nave collapsed at the beginning
of the 18th cent., and the cathedral became an absolute ruin. About
1735-40 a sort of Italian temple was made within the walls, but in
1843 the restoration which culminated in the present church was
begun. The architect was Mr. Prichard, to whom is due also the S.W.
tower (195 ft.), replacing the original E. E. tower, pulled down in
1786. — The cathedral is 175 ft. long and 72 ft. wide. The daily
services are at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., the latter choral.
The Exterior of the building, owing to the lack of transepts, suggests
a large parish-church rather than a cathedral. The W. facade, however,
the central part of which belongs to the E. E. edifice, is fine, and has
been compared to those of Ripon Cathedral and St. Remi at Rheims. Mr.
Freeman comments on the satisfactory effect produced by the perspicuity
of its construction, which is in no way disguised by the ornamentation.
The "Interior, being open from end to end, is very impressive. Among
the chief points of interest are the grand late-Norman "Arch between the
presbytery and the Lady Chapel; the "Altar-piece by Rossetti; the Lady
Chapel; the Chapter House, which is of very unusual form (square, with
a central pillar); the monuments of Sir David Matthew, standard-bearer
of Edward IV. (N. aisle of presbytery) and Sir William Matthew (d. 1528;
N. aisle of nave); and the supposed tomb of St. Teilo, on the S. side of
tbe presbytery. The way in which the E. bays of the ritual choir are blocked
up is supposed to be due to the former existence of a pair of small tran-
septal towers. The roof throughout is modern; so also is the stained glass,
which includes some good specimens of Morris. — In the churchyard
is a Memorial Cross to Dean Conybeare (d. 1857), an eminent geologist.
— The group of neat modern buildings on the slope above the cathedral
include the Deanery and the Canonry. Adjacent is the Cathedral School,
founded by Dr. Vaughan, Dean of Llandaff.
Between Cardiff and Llantrissant the train crosses the Ely
sixteen times. 1491/4 M. St. Pagans, with the seat of Lord Windsor,
takes its name from an early missionary, said to have been sent
from Rome in A. D. 180. —156*/2 M. Llantrissant (Windsor Arms),
picturesquely situated on a hill at some distance to the N. of the
station, is the junction of a branch-line to (6 M.) Cowbridge (Bear)
and (111/2 M.) Aberthaw (p. 205).
165'/2 M"- Bridgend (*Wyndham Arms; Dunraven, R. or D.
3s. 6d.; Angel, Castle, R. or D. 3s.), the junction for the Llynfi
Valley Railway(to Maesteg), is a small town, with (1901) 6063 in¬
hab. and the scanty remains of a Norman castle.
Visits may be paid to Ogmore Castle, a Norman fragment, 2'/2 M. to
the S. W.; to the (2 M.) ruins of Ewenny Priory, founded in 1146 and
(according to Mr. Freeman) 'perhaps the best specimen of a fortified eccle¬
siastical building, the union of castle and monastery in the same struc¬
ture' ; to Coity Castle (13-14th cent.) and Coity Church (good window tra¬
cery), 2 M. to the N.E.
From Bridgend to Cardiff via Llantwit Major, see p. 205.
From (171 M.) Pyle a branch-line runs to (3i/2 M.) P^rlhcawl