to Milford. CARDIFF. 26. Route. 203
R. 2s. — Philharmonic Restaurant, St. Mary St.; Beaufort, High St.; Re-
freshment Rooms, at the G. W. R. station. — Dorothy Cafi, St. Mary St.
Electric Tramways traverse most of the main streets; from the S.
end of St. Mary St. to the Docks (fare Id.) and Penarth (id.); from High
St. to Llandaff (id.). — Ferry Steamer (fare 4d.) from the Docks to Penarth
every V« hr., for two hrs. before and two hrs. after high water.
Post Office in Westgate St., not far from the Royal Hotel.
American ConBul, Daniel W. Williams.
Steamers ply from Cardiff daily to Bristol; 1-3 times weekly to Cork
(fare 17s. 6d.), Swansea, Belfast (17s. 6d.), and Glasgow (20s.). Excursion
steamers also in summer to numerous places on the Bristol Channel (comp.
Railway Stations. Great Western Railway Station, at the S. end of
St. Mary St.; Taff Vale Station, in Queen Street, nearly 1 M. to the W.;
Rhymney Station, adjoining the last; Docks Station of the Taff Vale Co.;
Clarence Road Station, close to the Docks, for Penarth and Barry.
Cardiff (the 'Caer', or castle, on the Taff), a well-built city
(since 1905) with (1901) 164,420 inhab. (2000 in 1801), lies on the
Taff, 2 M. above its mouth, has the largest coal-shipping trade in
the world (20,000,000 tons in 1904), and also exports large quan¬
tities of iron and manufactures from the S. Wales mineral field.
It exports a larger tonnage than any other port in the world, New
York being second. The magnificent docks (see below) were begun
by the second Marquis of Bute (d. 1818), the lord of the manor, to
whose spirit and energy Cardiff owes much of its importance.
High St. and St. Mary St. lead to the castle and the bridge over
the Taff. Cardiff Castle (adm. la.), erected in the 11th cent., has
been elaborately restored, and is occasionally occupied by the Mar¬
quis of Bute. The castle was the prison of Robert Curthose, eldest
son of the Conqueror, who died here after nearly 30 years' captivity.
The ancient keep (14th cent.) is still preserved; but the lofty clock-
tower and other prominent features of the exterior and most of the
inhabited rooms are modern. The most interesting of the frescoes
are those in the Banquet Hall, illustrating the history of the Castle.
— A good view of the Castle is obtained from the prettily laid-out
Sophia Gardens. The Municipal Offices are in Cathays Park, where
the new University College is being erected. Near the park are the
scanty ruins of an old Grey Friars Monastery. The Church of
St. John, in Church St., to the E. of High St., was built in the
13th cent., but the fine Perp. tower is a later addition. — The
Free Library, in Working St., can accommodate 600 readers; up¬
stairs is an Art Gallery and Museum, with a large collection of
paintings (open 10-5, except on Frid.; on Wed. & Sat. also 5-9 p.m.).
The *Docks, reached by crossing the canal at the E. end of St
Mary St., consist of four main basins, with an aggregate area of
124 acres and 6 M. of quays. There are additional docks at Penarth
(26 acres; see below), and at Barry (114 acres), 8 M. to the S.W.
(railway in 25 min.).
The South Wales fy Monmouthshire University College, in New¬
port Road, is attended by about 600 students (new building, see
above). The Technical School has between 3000 and 4000 students,